New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power hood operation fails

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Power hood operation fails

POWER HOOD OPERATION FAILS, 1997 2.8L V6 Auto "Possible Stage 4": It releases fine manually, windows release and lower, then try to raise it & nothing, I have no VAG COM yet, checked the oil reservoir yesterday and it appears fine with no leaks, some times I am unable to get the trunk unlocked (intermittent failure). There are so many things that could have could cause the issue. I see on the site the CAB has a lot of problems with the Wire Loom - does the wire loom start at the Convertible Control Unit behind the rear set then run on the right side up to the compartment cover? Where is the Boot lock? In the past when I actuated the switch for Convertible Top operation there was a pronounce sound that would emanate from the rear of car (that was I believe the motor starting) but now nothing. I have also noticed when I lower the top manually the right roof compartment lock will not completely latch but seems fine when raised.
Just today the trunk would not unlock and now the gas cap door will not open.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Roof Motor Problem

I had a similar problem with the roof appearing to start opening/closing but then stopping. I learnt that a common problem is the brushes sticking in the motor. You can try tapping the motor as this worked for a while with me. Note: the motor is under the right hand side trim pocket by the rear light. I also cleaned the motor stator but after while even this failed. What I was then able to find was a place in the UK that refurbished/exchanged the motor. This I have now done and works great. Refurb motor was $200 v Audi $1200. Let me know if you or anyone is interested in this refurb service?