New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member - Merkur owner looking into Audis

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 PM
1st Gear
Default New Member - Merkur owner looking into Audis

Yep, hi all!

I currently own a 1989 Merkur XR4TI, 5spd, rear wheel drive, fun car. But, at the end of the day it's still a Ford. I've had nearly every acronym happen. Fix or repair daily, found on road dead, first on race day (it's FAST!), and probably more but I can't remember all the acronyms. It's a sweet car, but it's a headache. At least it's been cheap to fix. I'll go into more of that later.

I'm enticed by all wheel drive sedans. I've been looking at older Audi a4 quattros, older Subaru imprezas (hate the look of bubble butt hatches), the evo 8,9,10, and the new 2011 Audi s4. BMW doesn't do it for me, just seems like wasted luxury.

So I'll probably be asking questions regarding the new s4, as the a4 forums have already answered all the questions I've had.

So more about my car, since I love talking about it. I've owned it for just over a year now, and it's my first car. I've had a few good breakdowns, so I'll start from the beginning. 2 weeks after I bought it for $1000, and 30 minutes after passing smog, she dies. Tow it home, and find out mechanics cost more than I have, so it takes me a month of learning to finally fix it. Bad ecu, just blew and started dumping gas in the motor. So it's fixed, and 2 weeks later the headgasket craps out. So, another month of research and tool buying and I fix it with an upgraded steel ringed gasket, arp headstuds, with copper coat. Now it's running again, until 2 weeks later the driveshaft blows a ujoint. I get a new shaft and flex disc, and it's good. However, just two months ago the transmission and clutch blew up. So another month of work, this time it was quick until the transmission refused to come out. Anyways, pilot berring was microscopic, the throwout berring in pieces, the clutch toast transmission side, the transmission input shaft pretty done in, and the syncros toast. I put in a new clutch, berrings, and good used transmission and haven't had any issues yet.

So, as you can see, it's definitely a Ford. But it's fun. I've got the turbo running up to 17psi from the stock 15psi, there's a roller cam from a stock slider cam in there, it's rear wheel drive, and hasn't breached $2k to date including buying price and tools. But I want something newer, more reliable (isn't hard lol) and just as much, if not more, fun. I'm poor now, as in I could barely afford a 5k 1997 Audi a4 I was looking at, but it was auto. I'm waiting on my name to be called for this job that would afford me up to the 60oddk for a full optioned 2011s4 if I'm careful, or any evo or Subaru, so I'm doing my research now.

In fun factor, I assume the evos win, in reliability the subarus, and luxury fun the Audi. I'm normally not one for luxury, but my friend's a6 is nice to be in. It's such a mob car lol. Luxury would feel nice. Silk seats? I mean, come on lol.

Yeah feel free to comment. Anything about the cars I've listed, including my own.