New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (TO ME) 2004 A4 1.8T UltraSport

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:47 AM
1st Gear
Default New (TO ME) 2004 A4 1.8T UltraSport

I am still so happy to have this new car!!!
I sold my 1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 Xtd-Cab 4WD truck to some private party and then put myself in a Dolpin Gray 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Ultra Sport.

I have a few concerns about the car I want to try to get some advice on. I will post this same thread under the "A4" specific forum and see what we get. ANY help is appreciated!

- The car has 58k miles
- Service records from Audi show that the 5k, 15k, 30k, 50k, etc. service has been done.

* PASSENGER WINDOW *
When I roll down the passenger window it rolls down strong and quickly (the same as all the other 3 windows). However, it makes a nasty screechy noise. The noise stops about 3/4 of the way down and then it is smooth. It always starts at the same spot (if I go UP, it starts 1/4 of the way up or so).

My thoughts on this was that probably inside the door there may be something rubbing up against it at that spot. Maybe the glass isnt aligned perfectly? I seriously doubt there is a problem with the motor as it is strong and consistant. The dealer I bought it from said they will look at it on Thursday when I take it back to be detailed. Any thoughts on this?

* CLUNK NOISE *
I didn't notice this when I first took the car for a test drive and even after I bought it. It has taken a few hundred miles, but I notice it now!
The easiest way for me to re-produce the problem to where I can hear/feel it is to...
1. Come to a complete stop
2. Turn off the A/C, Radio, etc. Make it nice and quiet!
3. Put it in gear and slowly accelerate. You can hear a pop/clunk and the feel it in the steering wheel (slightly). I felt it in the floor when I rode passenger and my buddy drove my car.

FYI!
1. If I stop the car on a slight hill, put it in neutral and then proceed to coast away, you will still get the clunk/knock.
2. Speed/gear doesnt seem to effect it. I tried accelerating then braking and hitting it again and i hear/feel a clunk.
3. I drove from a stop in 2nd gear, same thing.
4. I think it is there when you are driving fast, you just cant hear/feel it as easily because theres so much going on already (noise, road, etc.)

What do I suspect? Maybee.....
1. Something with the steering? Could it be some kind of tie-rod or rack-and-pinion thing? (I know next to nothing about steering)
2. Axle?
3. CV joint/boot ?
4. Brakes (unlikely, im not ON the brakes and it just doesnt sound like it would be)
5. Clutch? Well probably not, since I can reproduce it with the clutch out, in neutral and coast, brake, coast, brake

Any thoughts?

* INTERMITTANT SLIGHT HUM *
I noticed this just a couple times. I heard a little metallic hum. I got out, walked around the car, squatted down and it seems most prominant if I listen down near the rear left wheel (under the vehicle). I can turn the car off and immediatly start it back up and it might be gone. What the heck could that be?

So I have an extra 48K miles/4 year warranty that covers almost every single thing on the car.
I plan on taking it in to the dealer/service but I just wanted to get some thoughts first on this. I'm sure you guys can relate. It's nice to go in with some ammo in the back of your mind.

THANK YOU so much and it's great to now be a member :P

AARON
San Diego, CA
(agr0 on AIM)

Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: New (TO ME) 2004 A4 1.8T UltraSport

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the problems.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: New (TO ME) 2004 A4 1.8T UltraSport

Welcome to the forums. Yeah post your problems in the A4 forum.