New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy from Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM
1st Gear
Default New Guy from Michigan

Hi there everyone. I've been a Ford Focus Loyalist for almost 10 years, but looking for something bigger and more comfortable to haul my kiddies in. I know, you are probably laughing about my Focus, but my SVT has been a great car for the money....just ready for something different.

I have been looking into the older S4's, but resigned that I would probably just go with the 1.8T Ultrasport if I could find one. I see gas is supposed to make a tremendous leap once again, and the 1.8T is much better than that hulking V8 the S4's have.

I am a little hesitant though, as we used to own a Jetta 1.8T and the coilpacks were always an issue. I hope if I step back with an Audi 1.8T, I won't have the common issues our Jetta used to have.

Ideally i'd love an A4 Ultrasport Avant, but realize they are probably as rare as a unicorn...

Take care all! Look forward to learning a bit here!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

Well...does he drive a Ford Focus?... Or use the word unicorn nonchalantly in conversation?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

Not sure how old of an S4 you looked into but they also came in a 250 hp 2.7 Bi-Turbo (98-02) with a six speed. Not just the 300hp 4.2L V8 which the 1.8L will have trouble comparing to without a great deal of mods. Both come in an Avant, though wagons are a bit more rare especially in the S series.

Not sure on some of the common issues with the 1.8L I'm sure there everything's been covered and with a little searching you can find the answers you are looking for. GL with your search. If you want something more maintainence free consider the 2.8L V6.

Where in MI are you from? Which year Audi are you watching for?

Last edited by careercadaver; 02-22-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by careercadaver
Well...does he drive a Ford Focus?... Or use the word unicorn nonchalantly in conversation?
LOL! Ha! I'm hoping the guy that posted below me was a troll or something....can't believe someone already likes me after my first post *blushing*

Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by careercadaver
Not sure how old of an S4 you looked into but they also came in a 250 hp 2.7 Bi-Turbo (98-02) with a six speed. Not just the 300hp 4.2L V8 which the 1.8L will have trouble comparing to without a great deal of mods. Both come in an Avant, though wagons are a bit more rare especially in the S series.

Not sure on some of the common issues with the 1.8L I'm sure there everything's been covered and with a little searching you can find the answers you are looking for. GL with your search. If you want something more maintainence free consider the 2.8L V6.

Where in MI are you from? Which year Audi are you watching for?
Thank you for the informative post. I really didn't look much more later than the '04's. Anything older has higher mileage, but on the plus side, most of the expensive maintenance has been done (timing belt, clutch, etc.) I'm not looking for all out speed as much as I am looking for comfort and cost of ownership. While I would love an S4, I don't know if I want to keep feeding the tank. I noticed a lot of the A4 Avants I did find were 1.8T....might have to consider the 2.8 V6 though, and forgo the turbo...I am still relatively green to the Audi world except for any similarites they might of shared with our old Jetta, or Passat.

I currently live in Sterling Heights, 30 miles or so from Detroit....My dream car would be the A4 Ultrasport Avant....2004...

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 S4 and I average about 20mpg. Not fantastic but but I've got a heavy foot when provoked so that certainly adds to it. Air box mod or CAI and exhaust will help a litte with efficiency on the 2.7T. It looks like the A4 in the 2004 Model came with a 3.0L, not the 2.8L which gets about 18mpg and the tiptronic is a little less efficient.

Gas Mileage of 2004 Audi A4/S4

I saw a 2002 S4 in Grand Rapids on craigslist with and it looks like there is one in Holland as well aroudn the 100K mark. Not sure what you consider high mileage but these would bother be great options in a similar price range to the 04 A series. Neither one of these are wagons but I know there was a wagon for sale in North Chicago if you end up wanting to look further this direction.

2002 Audi S4

FS: 2001 Audi S4 2.7t 6-speed 93k

The S4 will be more to keep up with as it is a bit problematic if neglected:

New B5 S4 Owners Please Read This - Audi S4 Forum

Not trying to sell you on a B5 if you're wanting to go newer, though if fuel efficiency is the issue the Bi-Turbo set-up is relatively comparable to the 3.0L and you still get turbo that way.

The 3.0L should be a relatively maintainence free car that can last 250K+ miles. The 1.8L does about the same but only if they are well maintained and are as modable as the S4. Lots of aftermarket support all around with Audi.

I really like the B6 body style too and considered the S4 in 04-05 and then moved to the A4 and finally ended up with a my B5 S4 as I wanted lots modability and something a little more rare. Though any S4 owner will tell you that you're going to have to tinker to make it cost effective. Coming from Ford the general parts costs are likely three times what you're used to paying. FYI (And I'd assume that applies to the A4's as well, I've never owned one. Never had a VW either so I'm not too certain how similar they are).

Last edited by careercadaver; 02-22-2012 at 01:51 PM.