New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Audi Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
Default New Audi Owner

I just picked up my A4 2.8 yesterday, and it is definitely a change compared to my WRX that I had, but I like it none the less. It has a few cosmetic flaws that I'm not to thrilled about, but it is 10 years old now, so that Is to be expected.

I was driving the car home, enjoying the nice sound quality that the other owner had improved upon, and the "Euro" look that I've always been slightly jealous about.

I stop for gas and didn't recall the owner saying what he put in...so I call and he said that he'd always used 89. I say okay thanks, but when I open the gas cap, it says premium only, So I put 93 premium in.

I drive 8 more miles and arrive at home. Naturally, my dad wants to go for a ride, and just see whats goin on with this car. When I start going it sounded kinda funny at around 1800...like it was only on 4-5 out of the 6 cylinders. After that, I took off in first, not hard, but holding it to about 3800 RPMs. I looked down at my gauge cluster and my CEL was blinked two times from what I saw and then stayed on.

I was kinda confused as to what could have been wrong, but I could only relate it to the fuel change and maybe that the car had been used to 89 for so long.

I used my friends Code puller and got that i was getting a 412C (Misfire Detected) and a 413D (Cylinder 4)

What we narrowed it down to is a spark plug, fuel filter, or injectors. I was wondering what the more experienced Audi users thought about this?

Other than this, no issues that are serious. I do want to get some different lights because mine suck! Do you guys do retrofits with HID projectors too? Any links?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

To the top. I changed plugs about 100 miles ago...still doing it. Any advice?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 PM

Oh ur 4th coil pack is out, had the same thing happen to me

Old 11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, there is no way to get that just by it's self is there? I'd have to buy all 6 correct?

Old 11-15-2009, 01:20 AM

IM not sure I had the shop replace them for me which was a bad idea.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Whoopsies...I just ordered them off line in Audi packaging for 85 bucks...hoping for the best..I'll update the thread when I get them in.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Administrator

You should be able to replace just one. I know the 2.8 has different coilpacks than the 1.8T and they also cost more.

The flashing CEL means that the car is on a limp more. You shouldn't be driving the car in that mode until it's fixed to prevent further damages.

People have retrofitted HID's onto B5's. It's recommended that you do have the projector headlights as it will beam the light somehow better compared to regular headlights.

Also this question will be best posted in the B5 A4 section (I'm guessing you have a B5 since you have the 2.8) for better responses.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

Okay, So I changed out my full coil pack, and am still getting the same problem, low rpms and stuttering...

Plug wires go bad often on these cars?

Also, I did install the HIDs and they seemed to aready have projectors in them, as there is a very good cutoff on lowbeams and they don't blind oncoming traffic. Vast improvement from the last set of bulbs I had.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Bump it up. Drove over 400 miles today and still had issues. It seemed like 33% of the time it was fine, but then the other 67% it was just as bad as it was before.

Anyone near cadillac/TC Michigan?

Old 11-25-2009, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

Bit the bullet and bought wires today...problem fixed. Many thanks for advice!

Quick Reply: New Audi Owner