New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the audi game

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Default new to the audi game

i bought a 99 audi a6 last week and i know nothing about audi's so i need some help. i thought i was goin to get a bimmer or a benz but the interior on this thing caught me. so now i got an audi. my first question is can i get some dubs on this thang. you know them 20 inch rims, i wanna know if 20's will go on there with any problems. The other thing i need to know is if i can get an in dash flip-face tv into it or am i goin to have to get a dash mount. if i do get a dash mount is there aux. ports in the back of the oem cd player. that all i have for know if yall could help me out that be great.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: new to the audi game

20's will not fit. 19's are tight as it is.
I'm not sure what you mean about a tv. Your two choices sound the same. Explain further.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Why won't 20's fit? I've seen 20's on a civic. I mean he's looking at a 30 series tire but It's doable I would asume.

I don't understand why the size matters if you can get a low enough profile tire to keep the OD the same.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Snarlynx

Why won't 20's fit? I've seen 20's on a civic. I mean he's looking at a 30 series tire but It's doable I would asume.

I don't understand why the size matters if you can get a low enough profile tire to keep the OD the same.
The wheel wells and fenders aren't large enough to accomodate the size. 20's will rub on cornering. If you want to go 20 inches, then you better be prepared to do some serious body modifications on these cars.

Furthermore, these aren't rice cars where image is everything and performance is minimal. In fact, you will be severely upsetting the geometry and performance dynamics of the car - 19's already do this! The unsprung weight will increase dramatically and the inertial values will change, too. Just because the OD on a 20 stays relatively the same as a 17 does not mean that the physics remain equal. Lastly, a 20 inch tire with the same OD as a 17 inch tire will leave you with less than a 2.5 inch sidewall. That sidewall would be practically prohibitive - ride comfort and stability would be minimal at best.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

Double Post.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

Imolas4 - No offense but you're not telling me anything I don't know. He didn't ask if you thought it was ricey and anyone that wants 20's obviously doesn't put performance (or ride quality) before looks. He asked if it was possible and it is. The tire size 225/30/20 only increases the OD by 1.42% or 9 mm which I don't believe is enough to warrant fender work.

It is possible but if I were you Nonscene I'd get a quality forged wheel (to keep weight down as much as possible) and pay close attention to the offset.

Old 05-27-2004, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Snarlynx

Imolas4 - No offense but you're not telling me anything I don't know. He didn't ask if you thought it was ricey and anyone that wants 20's obviously doesn't put performance (or ride quality) before looks. He asked if it was possible and it is. The tire size 225/30/20 only increases the OD by 1.42% or 9 mm which I don't believe is enough to warrant fender work.
Good points Snarlynx

There is only ONE tire that I know of with those specs: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2. It increases the tire width by 0.5 inches and the OD is 0.5 inches larger. With those specs there may not be a rubbing issue - too close to tell. Its section width remains the same at ~9 inches, but its sidewall is exactly 2.5 inches high - 1.5 inches shorter than stock (4.0 inches). That begs the question not only about ride quality, but also safety. Then again, BFG wouldn't have made the tire if that were a serious problem.

So I will stand corrected by these specs and the statement, "Is it possible?"

I would hope that Noncense understands that this setup is a sever compromise in all other aspects though - that is all.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, we agree on the fact that while it's possible, it's UGLY. [:'(]

I'm a fan of (Iforged and HRE) 18's just so you know.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Site Moderator

I have seen 20's on an A4 before. The guy had to roll the fenders, but after that there was no rubbing. I thought it looked like crap though. Simply too big of a wheel for the car, and the performance of the car was severly affected. Ok for show car, not for a daily driver.