New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new A4 - from bliss to depression

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 03:51 PM
1st Gear
Default My new A4 - from bliss to depression

I just bought a 2002 A4 on Monday night. I love this car!!! I'm still giddy every time I drive it. Unfortunately, it will be about 3 weeks until I drive it again because I rear-ended somebody this morning.

It just happened an hour ago and still feels like a bad dream. I came to a three way stop. It's a horrible intersection - more of a Y than a T. I was coming down the right hand side of the Y. Typically, my lane has a right of way because drivers coming down the other side of the Y stop further back. They also have to yeild to oncoming traffic turning left at the fork - retarted, I know. Honestly, most people coming down the right side of the Y treat it as a yeild.

Anyway, there was a Lexus SUV in front of me. She had stopped and started to go. I looked to my left. The car sitting there wasn't going anywhere becuase it was yeilding to a car coming up the Y, veering left. So, I started to go. Anyway, for some reason the Lexus decided to stop. Wham! Technically, it's my fault because I shouldn't have been looking back over my shoulder to the left while moving forward.

The damage looks worse than it is. Because it was an SUV, my bumper went under hers, thus didn't absorb the impact. So my lights and radiator got bashed in and the hood buckled up. Seeing my new baby in that condition was almost enough to make a grown man cry.

So I figure today cost me about $5 grand. $1,000 insurance deductible. $2,000 in increased insurance over the next few years. And, $2000 lost resale value 4 or 5 years down the road (I assuming it will show up in CarFax). My guess is that the insurance claim will be about $10,000 or so.

I had it towed to the body shop the local Audi dealer uses and they assured me that in 2-3 weeks, I'd have it back, good as new. My biggest fear, aside from higher insurance and lower resale, is that the car won't ever be the same. My parents re-ended somebody in their Accord a few years back. It now has a chronic AC leak that nobody seems to be able to fix. So now all I can do is cross my fingers and wait.

Has anybody else had similar experiences? If so, I'd love to hear the outcome.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: My new A4 - from bliss to depression

Hey welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your mishap. I wouln't start worrying about it not being the same until you get her back.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Wow man I feel for you.. that must have really sucked.

Hopefully you'll get your Audi back soon

Old 11-19-2005, 04:12 PM

one thing is for sure it will improve your response times but i'm not the sort to down any one for slight mishaps it happens to us all, when you get your baby back you will soon forget about it because you have something to look forward to "the Audi drive feeling", wecome to the site[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 11-28-2005, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

Talked to the body shop today... I get my car back Friday! The adjuster came out and the already have the parts in. Hood, panels, lights, radiator, a/c, etc, but no engine damage whatsover, so that's good. I can't wait until Friday - I just hope it's as perfect as they promised it would be.