New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my a4, beginning it's transformation

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Talking my a4, beginning it's transformation

Hi all,

My first drive in this car really impressed me. I knew it had potential. The German fit and finish of the interior.. the smooth ride.. the body styling was sexy.

And that was about a year and a half ago, the car was already like 10 years old!

I drove an '04 Focus for about a year before this car, and even though it's 7 years older the ride in the A4 is better.

It's a 97 A4 tqm. I think it had about 117k when I got it, it's about 130k now. Black with black/grey leather(ette) interior. It was repainted black before I got it, decent paint job, but it has since gotten some scratches and dings I need to fix.

I've been driving it for a while now, and it's time to catch up on the maintenance, and then move on to upgrades, and more power.

So i'm doing the timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals etc this weekend. While i'm in there i'm putting in a new coolant temp sensor, and a Stern snub mount..

i'm also going to install a (new to me) suspension i bought... MTM lowering springs and s4 shocks.. supposedly lowish miles on them.

still on the maintenance list: drivers window regulator as soon as i get the part... headlight stalk to fix my non-illuminating inst. cluster... control arms (fronts thunk, rears squeek) cv boots or new axles... fix the odometer since the mechanic who worked on my a/c messed it up.

On my wishlist: I really want 034 engine and tranny mounts to tighten up the car, that or RS4 mounts.. i need some 18s... then i'll get a chip, exhaust, jhm short shifter... etc

Well that's my intro. I'm going to try to do the timing belt myself this weekend. I used to be mechanically inclined but it's been like 6 years since i've really done something as involved as this. My brother is a honda racer and can drop and replace an engine (honda anyway) in like 4 hours, i'm going to try to get him to hang out for a few hours just in case

So i'll be around, asking questions, trolling the classifieds for parts and just being a general noob!! Can't wait to get the suspension on!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Sounds good man, you shouldn't have too much trouble installing that belt. Might want to consider a turbo upgrade in the future, those cars have potential.