New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance cost question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Exclamation Maintenance cost question

I bought a B7 3.2Q a few months ago. It's coming up on 35k miles so I called up the local dealership (Audi of Tysons Corner) to find out how much the scheduled service would cost. They quoted $985 (!!!). I read the Audi Maintenance Schedule, and basically it's just an oil/air filter change, fluid check, multi-point inspection, and some lubrication. Is there something I'm missing here? Can anyone give me a good reason for taking my car into the dealership for this?

I even called up the used lot where I bought the car, which only deals in Audi/BMW/Mercedes, and they quoted the same 35k service for $250 (which is still pretty outrageous).

This is the first time I've owned a car that was still under warranty, much less a high-end German car, but I know my way around an engine bay, and did most of the maintenance on my old Jap cars, so I'm thinking I can just go to Jiffy Lube. Any thoughts from the experienced Audi owners?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't take a lawn mower with a blown motor to jiffy lube. If you know your way around an engine bay then just change your own oil.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:15 PM

I would do it myself, but the condo complex I live in doesn't allow auto work (part of the reason I bought a newer car). What have you got against Jiffy Lube (or insert generic oil change place here)?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

the high school drop outs they have working there.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSquid
the high school drop outs they have working there.
I con cor.

But that does sound like a lot of money for a 35k check up. My sister did the same for her Impreza- it was like 550. She was furious afterwards when all they really ended up doing was an oil change, air filter, plugs, etc. For that kinda money- i wanna see EVERYTHING flushed- Just for the hell of it. now THAT is PMS (service guys - Preventative Maintenance Service)

Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

I don't have a problem with the drop outs at Jiffy Lube, because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do an oil change, but I do have a problem with a dealership trying to bend me over for something I can do myself. Preventative maintenance is all fine and good, but $1000 is ridiculous.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Objectivist
I don't have a problem with the drop outs at Jiffy Lube, because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do an oil change

but it does take someone that gets aid enough to pay attention to what they are doing to put the drain plug back in.

but I do have a problem with a dealership trying to bend me over for something I can do myself. Preventative maintenance is all fine and good, but $1000 is ridiculous.
sounds to me like you CAN'T do it yourself.

the condo complex I live in doesn't allow auto work