New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just got an S5 and I love it

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Default I just got an S5 and I love it

I got a sprint blue S5 in January. I love it. There are some fantastic high speed and mountain driving opportunities in northern CA where I live. Aside from the amazing looks and interior, the power and handling are superb. The gear box was easy to master and now that its broken in I can experience the full acceleration. I never thought I would say that I have enough power...but too much more and I would get into serious trouble! The most amazing thing about the S5 is the handling. I have pulled more Gs in that car than I ever thought possible in a car of that size and weight. Its simply amazing and I definitely have not had the b**ls to test the limits of cornering, but in a smooth road situation, I expect I never will find those limits. The thing just sticks. I am also in love with the broad band torque. Its great to be able to pass anything going 70Mph or more in 6th gear. The acceleration is remarkably smooth from 0 to 120 which you can get to very quickly! Even though it is supposed to be limited to 130 mph I have had it up to almost 140. At about 130 things start to get a bit lost in terms of road feel, but I think that would be true of many cars in this class. I never felt insecure at any time, even when cornering at very high speeds. If I was routinely driving at those speeds, I would probably tighten up the suspension somehow.

I also drove an 650i, 550clk, and several others, and the S5 was the clear choice for me (and the least expensive of the bunch). I have had no problems so far, except that I think I was supposed to have voice activation and I can't get it to work...I may need new software, but they will check that at my 3500 mile checkup which I need now. I don't have side assist or the ride adjustments, but frankly, I have no interest in those items.

One thing is certain, the car turns a lot of heads, and I have been stopped by at least a dozen people who want to ogle it. Its a nice to have something unique for a while anyway.

I am interested in upgrades, the only ones I have found are a chip upgrade which takes you from 354 to 371 horse power and about as many torque ft-lbs. for about $1K and a 30K MTM supercharger upgrade (440HP, oh yeah). If I cold find a cheaper supercharger I might go for it. I would need to upgrade suspension...I think the brakes are ok because there isn't much of a weight increase. So much for not wanting more power!

Any ideas?

In summary, of all the cars I drove, the S5 was the fastest, raciest, best handling, best looking exterior and nicest interior. About my only complaint is that the dash bezel around the gauges and MMF feels a bit cheap and hollow. I would love to find a carbon fiber version at some point.

By any measure, the S5 is the best car I have ever experienced, and I think a good candidate for the best Audi ever made.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I just got an S5 and I love it

Have any pics of your S5?

I'd like to see that blue

Saw an S5 today.. they look pretty good
Name:  s5.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  25.0 KB

Now just imagine twin hair dryers on that V8

Old 05-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Is it just the perspective or is his fuel door slightly open?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

haha.. I was looking at that too..

I didn't notice it open on the road but maybe

Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

how about we race, see if that s5 can beat my s4 ;]