New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6. I fell in love...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Default Audi A6. I fell in love...

After lurking (and posting in the 'A6 Forum' with no replies) I finally joined. Why? I am strongly considering a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T as I fell in love during a test drive.

Living in the Northeast I am sick of front wheel drive in the snow, need a sporty sedan and love the thought of the AWD.

The A6 I am looking at is clean, 2001 year, never hit, 68K miles, black paint with gorgeous light tan interior. After looking around, I pop the hood and poke around...check the oil, coolant, listen to the engine etc etc. Taking the cap off the valve cover to look inside and was immediately dissapointed to see a few mm of black tar/mung on the oil cap itself. The car has been sitting for a few months and I noticed a bit of grey smoke emitting through the opening for the oil cap when I peeked into the valve cover.

The car is at a used car dealer and will come with a warranty. The engine was quite strong and tight, I do not believe the smoke was enough to be concerned of and after a test drive, I feel that smoke was such a tiny amount that I was simply paranoid. Still, to peek into the valve cover where the oil cap is and to see dry, crusted, black carbon is not cool imo. THe three cars that I am considering all have about 60K miles. Tow of them have black carbon build up in the valve cover (where the oil filler cap is removed) and one is pristine. While this is not the end all/be all for purchasing a car, would you agree that it lets you know how the car/engine was maintained?

The car needs brake pads and a full cleaning/detail. I will take her to a shop before I purchase to have the engine tested.

Question...one thing (sounds trivial) but the car is in mint shape, black paint, bone colored interior...but she has a pinstripe on her that makes me ill (it's real paint not a sticker) as it's a tan stripe with a light blue stripe just above. Can I have this stripe removed? Will it be noticeable afterwards that there was a stripe there? Would a red pinstripe or silver pinstripe look hot?

After I get the engine tested, I'll feel better. Am I concerned about reliabilty? Yes. But I get auto parts at cost, do most of my own maintenance and have a great local mechanic too. I only own one car, so if the Audi falls down on me, I am stuck. I am also looking at a BMW 328i (2000 with 50K miles). I loved it too and with it's DSC traction, am I fooling myself to think that snow tires will do the job?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Audi A6. I fell in love...

==================
Welcome to AudiForums

This is a great site. We try to keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. It is a great site to find camaraderie with other "Audiphiles." We've got a dysfunctional-family-type thing going on, here, and I hope you enjoy your time spent here.

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! <---click this link) link to get a rundown of terms we use, here at AudiForums.

Be sure to SEARCH <---click this link) the archives first when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (usually several times) and the archives will have plenty of information; quite often, the answers are comprehensive. If your question hasn't yet been addressed don't be discouraged. Feel free to ask your questions in the appropriate forum; A4 <---click this link) for A4 specific questions... A6, A8, S, and RS, etcetera, respectively. General Tech for, you guessed it, non-model specific general technical questions, etc. We also have an "Off-Topic" area for things you want to share that are... off the grid, let's say, and a "classifieds" area, too! For those looking to buy or sell justa bout ANYthing. And so much more... Something for every one and everything.

If there is a personal problem with the site or you want to file a complaint about a particular member, then PM the Admin or any Moderator. You can find out how to contact them by visiting the Members List Area and clicking on the "View All Groups" button. They will keep your PM confidential and respond as soon as possible.

When it's time to test your signature, to see how it will look, we also have a "test your sig" area, too.

Don't feel intimidated; we're all a bunch of pretty cool folks. Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics in the appropriate forum.

We all welcome you and hope you find this site informative and enjoyable.
====================