New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 tdi 130 intermittent loss of power and electric cooling fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Default A4 tdi 130 intermittent loss of power and electric cooling fan problem

Hello all , have just joined
Ihave been reading through other posts on this forum and am very impressed with answers given so i hope someone will be able to help me.
I haveowned a 2001new model A4 tdi 130 for about18 months and have loved every minute.About7 months ago the electric fan began to operate a lot more than normal but i passed it off at the time because it was during the summer and iput it down tothe higher summer temperatures. Since then it has continued to operatea lot more than usual to the point that even when i start the engine on a morning with the outside temperature -2 it starts up within 10 secondswith an cold engine,it seems to go off soon after the engine hasgot to normal operating temperature and then to operate as normal .My impression is that there is a faulty fan or coolant sensor if so can anyone tell me how to replace it .
About a week ago the the engine seemed to go into limp mode and felt like i had lost about half the horsepower and the turbo but the car oprates fine other than that with no warning lights.
Now from reading other posts the finger seems to be pointed at the air mass meter so i bought a replacement which turned out to be the wrong one so i swapped the sensors so as to test outfor asoulution as the sensors seemed to be the same only the casing was bigger in my car.
This did not solve the problem so i swapped them back again now i find that when i start the engine it works a bit better but the turbo kicks in not on the regular point but often at 2800 rpm and then can go back to limp mode again at any time.If this happens i can switch off the engine an start it again and it will operate again for a while.
Mayby thiese problems are connected or mayby i need to get the correct sensor for the air mass meter
and sort out the other problem seperately but i would like a second opinion before buying another meter.
Thanks in advance for any help.

2001 A4 tdi 130 75000 miles
5w40 mobil fully synthetic used on last service

Old 01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Default RE: A4 tdi 130 intermittent loss of power and electric cooling fan problem

Hi again i have since removed the plastic engine cover and found that a vacuum line from what i think is the vnt valve had been trapped between the plastic cover and what i think is the fuel pressure regulator squashing it and preventing the valve from operatingnormally , i now seem to be back about 75% to normal but there is still some small loss of power.