Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

StL thread... no gtg talk, just shoes/kelly's car

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Guru

that is what i thought........ but i looked it up.... oversteer is when the back end goes out

understeer is when the front gets loose, normally front wheel drive

Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by kolbs_91
I'm still not seeing the point in this. I corrected it the best that I could, and there was nothing I could do - something that never happened to me with quattro, and something that has never happened to me in the xi before.
and it sucks that it happened, but you are 17 and under experienced to be doing alot of the stuff you have told me you do.........

but we all have done some stupid **** in our lives and we get over it...........

you do realize that the xi is more rwd based right and not like audi's quattro

they have more like the 4 motion thing going on, so when you go the back out, the front probably didn't have the capability to catch it like it would have in the audi....

i did the same thing tonight, pulled out, got on it, got the side moving out, but i got it back under mainly by turning the steering wheel and letting off on the gas

when i had my truck i did the same thing and was unable to get it corrected.....

what exactly did you do to get it in the slide and what did you do to try and get it out?

Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
5th Gear

I do understand that it's different from quattro, but it's still something that's never happened to me in his car before, and I've played in his car quite a bit.

I was in second gear and gave it a little gas to get it sideways. Everything started out okay, and it even felt okay when I started trying to correct it. I kicked the back end out in one direction, I started to correct and it kicked out pretty far in the opposite direction, and then it kicked back out in the initial direction with me still trying to correct. I pretty much just turned my head and closed my eyes after it kicked out the final time because I knew I couldn't do jack **** to stop it.

Last edited by kolbs_91; 01-25-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Guru

cause it was the old oversteer/understeer joke.......... jeff with the mitsubishi evo had as his sig a while back

Old 01-25-2009, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

Understand, and experienced it before Kolby. Worst feeling in the world. Should have been able to stop it you think. But really... could you. Sometime from now, it may hit you, and you will be pissed. But always remember, keep spirits high, and that **** happens. I never had it that bad... but
Curbed the **** outa my winter wheel screwing around in a lot. A spot ended up being pure ice, couldnt do ****. Tried everything I could think of. About 2 days later, I was thinkin, if I coulda left the wheels strait, it would have rolled right over the 3 inch high curb.
Hit ice and dumped the bike, if I woulda been payin attention, I may of seen the ice spot, or at least taken the turn slowly...

Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, the feeling is shitty as hell. I can't get over the fact that I've fucked things up so badly doing something that I've done a countless number of times before and never even been close to having things go this wrong.

My dad ******* loved that car, and I've completely let both him and my mom down. He's taking things pretty well, and even defended me a little in front of my mom, but I still can't shake this feeling. I just bought a car that is superior to my A4 in almost every way, and I've now got my parents questioning my responsibility to drive a car of this caliber because of one mistake...and I honestly can't blame them.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
2nd Gear

Well, I dont know your parents, but Im sure, if air bags deployed, they are just happy your ok. The car is nothing compared to that. Of course they are mad, but, it could have happened to either one of them too. My parents are questioning me as well, as I havent really been trying to hard to find a job, wecked the bike, grades are slipping... My mom even asked my dad what they did wrong(I over heard that one)... if they made it too easy for me. Hearing that makes you feel like ***.

And truthfully, I think if your parents read that post of yours, they would be proud! And know that you are responsible, and just made an honest mistake, like everyone does...

Last edited by 2001A6; 01-25-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 PM
5th Gear

Thanks, man. And I've heard things very similar to that come out of my parents' mouths before, as well; it's a terrible feeling. All you can do is your best, and I'm sure they'll be proud of you no matter what the outcome.

Last edited by kolbs_91; 01-25-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear

No problem. Maybe Im strange, but I find it ironic that while we converse over such an awfull thing, the radio up stairs in my house(for our bird, its on like 24/7) is playing Hey Jude by the Beatles...
"take a sad song, and make it better..." lol.

I at least tried to lighten the mood.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
5th Gear

Haha, yeah. I can usually find the silver lining in most situations, but other than the fact that I'm okay (as far as I know...I'm a little high off of Oxycodone right now, and I've yet to lay down for more than an hour since it happened) I'm not finding one.