The OFFICIAL Illinois audi thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Default RE: The OFFICIAL Illinois audi thread

Lol soda or pop?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Its funny you mention that "soda or pop"; I moved to New Hampshire back in 1995 and being form the midwest we always called it pop. When a friend of mine in NH (born and raised in NH) came over to my apartment I offered him a pop. He replied "No thank you! I don't do any drugs." I almost busted a gut.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Box carpet came in the mail today! I will pick up some spray glue tomorrow and post some more photos when its finished. I think I am going to give up on the flush mount ring for the subs. I was going to use black formica on the front flush mounted panel and carpet around the sides but I think the carpet would come off on the edges (after time). I also think the front speaker mounting wood piece is going to get too week if I put any more screws in it LOL!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 PM

Lol good luck with that project man! Maybe I can stop by sometime tomorrow and check it out!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

Sure, give me a call.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 PM

How's that box coming along??

Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

The box is finished. I hooked up a 20W house stereo to test it out and look for vibrations in the car and found many! With only 20W the windshield washer leaf guard was rattling ARRRG. And there is something in the rear under the car on the left and right sides that sounds like a thin rubber mat over a speaker port. I think it is above the muffler heat shields or its the heat shields themselves? I have to figure that one out, its frustrating me, the trunk lid makes no noise at that level. I think I am going to stuff fiberglass on top of the heat shields to keep them from vibrating, if that's what it is. The fiberglass will act as a better heat shield than the heat shield itself and can withstand temps above the exhaust manifolds highest temp. I have a good port into the car, because when I opened the driver door with the trunk lid closed the bass pored out (SWEEET). I found a grommet just to the left of the battery in the fire wall. It looks like it will take a 0 AWG wire and still have room to spare. Not sure where it comes out in the car under the dash though, I am not going in where the air conditioning lines are, does not look safe and will make an ugly install. Do you have radio keys? I think I am going to take out the glove box and look around for that grommet with a flash light. I have the day off work tomorrow so I plan to install the system then. I need to get 0 AWG crimps and I think I am going with screw lugs and not crimps. I may weld them with a map gas torch for a good galvanic connection. Should be thumping this weekend.
[sm=massbounce.gif]

Heh your avatar does not give your Audi justice, that should be a mountain lion! How's the project you are working on going? If its finished you got to bring it over for me to check it out!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 PM

LOL! Nice man too much information for a non engenier guy here :P but you know what? I'm also planning to get the radio key for my audi symphony. Cause I'm planning to hardwire my iphone with a dock at the right side of the radio. My BOV and intake didnt arive today hopefully tomorrow! I'll catch you sometime this weekend and probably test my polks too with that cable you said that hooks up to the amp!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

I will try to post some more photos of the finished box, perhaps in a photo album like you got. I am going to order the keys on e-bay, your welcome to use them for your radio.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

OK, I am getting off topic in this thread so I am moving the stereo discussions to here for anyone that is interested -=+> https://www.audiforums.com/m_869630/tm.htm

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Illinois audi thread