Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

The OFFICIAL Illinois audi thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: The OFFICIAL Illinois audi thread

You should understand that nobody can give you an answer )) It all depends where you drive... And as you can see we got a lot of potholes this year.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 AM
4th Gear

Hey "dmrdennie" was that you honk'n your horn this morning on Jefferson? (lol that just dont sound right)

Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: new2me

Hey "dmrdennie" was that you honk'n your horn this morning on Jefferson? (lol that just dont sound right)
Naw,
It wasn't me. Which car. It may have been the wife or daughter if it wasn't the black car. I was stuck at work

Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: dmrdennie

ORIGINAL: new2me

Naw,
It wasn't me. Which car. It may have been the wife or daughter if it wasn't the black car. I was stuck at work
Oh ok the car was either silver or that light tan. I didn't get the best look becauseI was day dreamingabout how I wish it was Friday because its my last day at the co. AND it was around 8am.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

Hello everyone, new Audi owner here in Romeoville, IL. Has anyone installed a 1/0 AWG power cable in an 05' A4 cabriolet from the center battery to the trunk and an RCA converter, that could give me a few tips and tricks? I want to add my Viper 1200.1 1Ohm stable amp to my Audi and 2 kicker L7s in the trunk. The box I bought is from kicker but I don't think it is going to fit in the trunk of my cabriolet. I was going to make a custom box to hold the subs and I will be using a 30 FARIAD voltage cap and 2 X 1 FARAD current caps. I am unsure on how I am going to mount the subs, I was thinking one on each side angled towards the trunk lid. The main problem I am facing is running the power cable from the battery to the trunk, I would rather not drill any holes if it is at all possible. I was going to use a JL Audio RCA media converter but if anyone has any better ideas I would love to here it.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Well the Audi dealer told me the safest way to not void your warranty is to NOT go through the CDI box. Any moisture in the CDI box = Instant CDI Death. Well perhaps not instant but inevitable. I am going to run a small plastic tube or a PVC pipe through the grommet that the air condition condenser lines run through and run my 1/0 AWG cable through that (the tube or PVC will help protect the cable shield form the changing temps of the condenser lines and prevent cracking). I will then silicone the wire to the tube. If the grommet does not seal well against the tube then I may silicone that too. Another dealer tech told me to be careful of leaks if going through the firewall behind the glove box as a lot of water flows back there on the outside of the grommet during a rain storm. I have made a custom 3.33cubic foot volume sealed enclosure for my trunk. It fits below the convertible top so top function is not impaired. You have to move the top bay up to insert or remove the box. I am using a Neutrik Speakon NL4FC audio plug connector on the box for quick disconnect on those trip to Sam's Club days. Here is a few pics of the box I am working on:

Name:  IMG_3297Small.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3302Small.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  95.9 KB
Once I finish the sub cover and carpet the box I will post more photos. I wanted to build a vented enclosure to get that extra 3dB but I just don't have the room, I would need at least a 4cu ft box with an external folded port (not that easy to tune in a trunk with no space at all left for resonance). The sealed box will still give me tons of SPL andshould have a better response than a ported enclosure. I wanted to dynomat the trunk lid but found that the damn antennas are there, OOPS! hope that's not going to be a problem. I have dynomat on the license plate and I hope nothing else is going to rattle. There is nothing worse than a thumpin' system that is drowned out by the splack twang of a trunk lid or body panel (can you say ghetto). I thought that the stock Bose sound system would be enough but I had the top down on the highway today and the stock sound system may be a problem. I may have to add a 400W amp and some more speakers somewhere. I don't want to loose the factory radio because I love the steering wheel controls and the center display on the dash.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new here too, and also from Romeoville IL. Just looking around and checking out all these sweet rides :]
Name:  IMG_01401.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  57.4 KBName:  IMG_01411.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  50.8 KBName:  IMG_01431.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 04-18-2008, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Nice Rims!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

ahhhh a fellow cabrio driver!! welcome!

(psssssssssssssst. *whispers* we call 'em wheels!!!!)

Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

Well in da hood, we call dem Rims! Dem some sweet rims! LOL, they are nice! I see you got em too, must be somthing to that or is it an S4 thing? Heh! I could use some new Ahemm Wheels. Will Pirelli P6s fit dem rims? LOL!

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Illinois audi thread