Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Buzzing from climate control!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM

i stumbled upon this thread, and i cant help but wonder...what about keyboard duster? if its just dust on the fan, spray keyboard duster at the intake and it might get the dust off. Just musing though...

Old 08-05-2009, 01:24 AM
4th Gear

Seems easy enough to me...

You have to take the radio out, then the climate control.

Someone else here found loose connectors that caused the problem...

Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Hi, I am facing same problem. Dont know how to go about this. help me.......

Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

Ive heard that buzzing for a while and coudlnt figure what it was, reminds me of the analog clock motor in older cars. The first thought that popped into my head when you said it was a dust fan was pc duster. Ill give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 AM

I fixed this issue in my 00 Avant - it appeared that the intake fan was wobbling on its shaft, so it would only make the noise at a certain speed, the faster the speed the louder the noise. I worked out that if I put pressure on the back of the fan unit, it would stabilize the fan shaft and stop the noise. To fix, I had a local stereo shop remove the HU, then cut a piece of thin steel tube (about the same thickness/diameter as a screwdriver) and wedged it between the back of the intake fan unit and a metal brace that runs horizontally about 2 inches behind the climate control unit. I notched one end so that it slipped over the metal bracket. If you cut it slightly long and really jam it against the housing that the intake fan resides in, it will put enough pressure on it to stop the wobble and the noise. To secure I used some silicone on the metal bracket end, and it has been 6 months now and no detrimental effects on the climate control, and the noise is gone. I know it's not going to win any medals for being a super hi-tech fix, but it has two things going for it - it works, and it's cheap.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear

I just did a fix on this the other day for my climate control fan. Remove the stereo, then you can pull out the climate control unit. Use a canister of that pc compressed air stuff and blow all the dust out from the interior of the unit. I wiped everything down with a damp cloth to get the grime off the sides and other plastic surfaces. There are some screws holding the faceplate on there, pull that off. Be gentle because there are 2 ribbon cables. The fan is mounted to the circuit board, I used a qtip to clean the blade then put a drop of machine oil on the shaft and spun it a few times so it could creep in.

Put it back together and good as new.