General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 PM

So I started digging in and descovered that the thread and bolt that holds the tensioner on the back is missing. Theres my problem. That would explain why its leaning forward so badly. I'll attach a picture to show exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think the engine shifted anymore. Should I still replace that motor mount because of the structural damage?

Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Noise-032.jpg  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

I would replace it if you don't it will continue to crack through the damaged area. Try www.shokan.com in NY. where are you that you have a diesel? US? also try googling used Audi parts for your model.

See how much one is new too.

That belt is shot and stretched your lucky it didn't break on you. I can see the ribs through the outside of the belt.
make sure you replace that tensioner and the rollers as well. Don't push your lucky streak.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM

While I was taking it apart I noticed that the bracket in the picture was only held by one out of three bolts. I replaced the tensioner, roller, timing belt, waterpump and accesory belt. I bolted all bolts to the torques specified in the bentley manual. I didn't replace that bracket but I did put some jb weld around the area to hopefully give it a little more strength cause I couldn't find them on the internet. I'll keep looking for it and I'll keep an eye on cracks in the metal. Its running and driving great right now though.

P.S. The message I wrote before about the tensioner bolt missing was an incorrect statement, the purpose of that bolt is to take tension off the belt. Also, it is a gasoline engine, not a deisel and I live in Alaska, i.e. the US. Why did you get the impression it was deisel?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:18 AM
2nd Gear

I guess it's really not that bad but next time take a small chainsaw file and round it out first. The sharp edges will make the crack run, round will stop it. GOOD JOB