General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

symphony II freezes up

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 09:31 AM
1st Gear
Default symphony II freezes up

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for the acceptance.
I have an Audi A4 3.0 TDI and my last two long distance drives I have experienced the Radio freezing up while driving, the radio carries on playing but I cannot control volume, change stations or switch it off. When i switch the car off the radio remains on.

The only way to switch it of is either disconnecting the battery or the removing the fuse(F39) or removing the fuse behind the radio.

I have done the following with no luck:-
1. Checked all fuses, all good.
2. when I remove the fuse behind the radio I can then get control of the radio for a while, but then it freezes up.
3. I have connected the car to VCDS tool and when the radio is working the radio scan comes back with no faults, but when the radio freezes up the scan does not pick up the radio and addresses 16/17 come back with fault code 01304 N0 communication.

What I have picked up while messing arround:-
1. The radio unit is extremely hot.
2. If I remove the fuse while the radio is still hot, then it might work for around 5 minutes before freezing up again.
3. When the radio is cool and I switch in on then it works for a longer period (I guess until it gets hot again) before it freezes up.

My limited knowledge tells me that I have a problem with a component on the radio that is causing it to get so hot that it freezes up.

I would really appreciate any info that can assist in repairing this problem.

Thanks Jose