General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sunroof Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 02:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Sunroof Problems

hey everybody i got a question and cant figure out what the hell this could be and im wondering if anyone has had similar problems. I have an A4 and a fully motorized sunroof . . . tilt/Slide. well my problem is that even when turned to the full close position the sunroof will at random, slide a quarter of the way open. I know it cant be the motor going bad because the sunroof can still open and close with no problem. its getting rediculous because ill be driving down the interstate and the sunroof will just slide open a quarter of the way? Anyone have any suggestions and/or fixes for this problem hopefully its something that has happened before and someone knows whats going on. Plz post any info on the subject.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:00 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Sunroof Problems

Sounds like either the relay or the servo and track are out of sync. In either case, it's something that probably only an Audi tech could handle - unless you have all the right tools and have a background in sunroofs.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:23 AM
1st Gear

hmmmm intresting well lol i have no history in sunroofs but thx for the guess man i really just have no clue . . . how much do you think this is gonna cost me lol if i even should ask? i dont think the parts are that expensive but im sure labor is gonna be rediculous.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 AM
3rd Gear

Sorry, I honestly have no clue.

It would be great if you could find out who was subcontracted to design and manufacture the unit for Audi. Then go and find a local dealer/shop that would know how to diagnose and repair it - probably for far less than the stealership. Then again, maybe any good reputable sunroof dealer/shop might be able to help for less $$.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: 97A4_2.8

hey everybody i got a question and cant figure out what the hell this could be and im wondering if anyone has had similar problems. I have an A4 and a fully motorized sunroof . . . tilt/Slide. well my problem is that even when turned to the full close position the sunroof will at random, slide a quarter of the way open. I know it cant be the motor going bad because the sunroof can still open and close with no problem. its getting rediculous because ill be driving down the interstate and the sunroof will just slide open a quarter of the way? Anyone have any suggestions and/or fixes for this problem hopefully its something that has happened before and someone knows whats going on. Plz post any info on the subject.
Your car is posessed! See a priest, IMMEDIATELY!!!

In reality, I have similiar issues w/my sunroof, though not as extreme as your problems. Mine only manifest when I'm parked and shut off the motor, and then only rarely. So, if you do manage to find the prob/cure, by all means, SHARE, 'K?

Old 04-06-2005, 11:15 AM
6th Gear

Most of the sunroof problems relate to the switch. Mine does the same thing. If the car gets hot or I go over a bump the sunroof will pop upen a quarter of the way. I would start by cleaning the switch inside with an electronics cleaner from Radio Shack. If that doesn't help, you may need to replace it.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

hi all! new to forum. great place with great "discussions"! haha
anyway, in response to your sunroof - recently had my 99 a4 2.8 quattro sunk by a random object from the roof of my building where i work. long to short ... had similar problem when body shop tried to repair the hole which was my once my sunroof. ended up sending it to the dealer (twice) to repair. turns out that ImolaS4 is correct. relay/servo/track thingamajig were out of sync so the sunroof motor was replaced at the dealer - body shop wiped their hands of it. i don't recall what the cost to my insurance was so i can't help you there. so far, no probelms.

thanks for reading my ramblings. :-)

Old 04-07-2005, 03:00 AM
Senior Administrator

Thanks a4n, and welcome to the forums. One of teh administrators will most likely post a link to the forum 'netiquette page, and welcome you, also.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:20 AM
3rd Gear

Welcome to Audi Forums a4nquattro!

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Then be sure to search the archives when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information to answer your question. If you still need answers, please feel free to ask questions.

Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics.
================================================== ==========================================

Old 04-07-2005, 03:54 AM
1st Gear

thanks everyone for the warm reception!

i def do search and search often. highly recommend it. intersting, informative, def entertaining! (haha) lingo i'll get down the more i reply/post.

don't mean to take over post. hopefully 97A4_2.8, if you take it to the dealer, they will be nice and find a recall or something on it.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Problems