General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

scraping sound near FR wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: scraping sound near FR wheel

I checked for bad bearings using the method you suggested on all four wheels. They all felt completely solid. I had my brother drive the car while I tried to locate the sound -- it is definitely in the vicinity of the front passenger-side wheel. I can hear the sound better with the windows closed than with the windows open. I took a look under the car around everything rotating at the wheel's speed -- i.e. the wheel, hub, rotor, axle, all the way up to where the axle connects to the transmission. I was hoping to find something scraping the axle or inside of the wheel, but no such luck.

There is not feathering on my tires, but I wouldn't expect any unusual wear since I have only driven the car a few miles since this problem started. Also, I cannot feel any vibration from this sound. If it were something like an out-of-balance or bent wheel then I would feel a vibration.

I suspect one of the following is causing the problem:

1. Bad tire - This can be confirmed/eliminated by swapping the front wheels - which I will do soon
2. Bad wheel bearing - although it passes my test, I can't actually look at it to verify that it's okay.
3. There is a badly torn CV boot in the FR which may be rubbing against itself (it's practically in 2 pieces) at high speeds - although this wouldn't explain the car pulling to the right. If this is the case, I'd also think that the sound would be more audible from outside the vehicle (i.e. with the windows open).
4. Warped rotors. The brake pads are touching the rotors all of the time. This in itself is fine, but when I removed the wheel and rotated the rotor through the caliper, there was one spot which took 2-3 times as much force as everywhere else. This might be causing my one wheel to slow down once per rotation which would cause some unusual results since the other 3 wheels are moving at a normal speed.
5. All four wheels were not aligned - I'm looking for my receipt to see if the rear wheels were aligned.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear

The cv boot being torn could cause the cv shalf to go bad and cause the sound you describe. If the cv boot lookssplit open like you describe the bearings inside the joint could be ruined and cause that sound especially if the joint and boot looks dry.

I would fix that and then see how it drives. if there is truely a bad tie rod it needs fixed.

That was a very good assement of your car only I would believe the tough feeling trying to turn the rotor would be from the cv joint binding.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:02 AM
2nd Gear

Warped front rotors cause a vibration in the pedal when slowing down usually from highway speeds, warped rear rotors or drums in the rear will cause a swaying forward and backwardsfeeling in the whole car as it slows from highway speeds.

Swapping the tires would be a good way to determine the pull if it is still present after the cv shaft and tie rod have been replaced and the car aligned againassuming the tie rod is acually bad.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

An excellent point! I just started learning details about the steering/suspension systems and I had a little error in my thinking about CV joints. The CV joints are there so the axle can follow the wheel when it turns left/right or moves up/down... this is true BUT I COMPLETELY FORGOT that the bearings are in use all of the time - haha. I was so convinced it was a sticking brake that I didn't think enough about other possibilities. I've spent hours wondering what on earth between the wheel and transmission could possibly make a sound like that. Now that you've pointed it out I'm 99% sure you're correct. The worn CV bearing(s) go along with the car pulling to the right as well.

The good news: I believe we've found the problem PLUS I already have an axle w/ new CV joint lying around.

The bad news: I don't have a 20mm socket [:'(] and I'm being picked up tomorrow at 9:00am to return to school for the semester... @#$%^&#

Thanks to everyone for the help -- I'll post another message when I'm able to try out the new CV joint.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

In other news... should I have been able to shift my wheel left/right? I was able to move it about a total of a 1/2 inch back and forth. The entire strut assembly and tie rod move with the wheel. My steering is very responsive... so i don't think it's too much to worry about, unless someone else knows something I don't.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

P.S. It might be a few months before I come home again. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Senior Administrator

OK, see ya in about, what, 3 1/2 months? Spring break? Or, 5-1/2, summer break?

Old 01-14-2007, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Well I'm not sure what my spring plans are, but hopefully before summer. Thanks again!