General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Repeat Audi owners: Audi reliability???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Repeat Audi owners: Audi reliability???

Cars in general, especially Audis I do know, are more reliable now than a few years ago. In 1997 I wouldn't have touched an Audi, and frankly, I wasn't initially looking at the A3 to replace my WRX.

I had been thinking heavily about just getting another WRX. I had my tires replaced today and the car handles almost like new and is so much quieter. But that didn't make me forget the loaner they gave me (06 Legacy wagon, almost fully loaded) was even worse. The thing barely had mileage on it at all and had a softer suspension....and it was noisier than my car. I know loaners are typically beat up on, but ya have to consider this car is fairly new and has the best fit and finish they can provide.

Maybe I'll be kicking myself in the future for this, but I think I'd rather live with having to continuously check my oil than having to keep my sound system on for every second to save my sanity.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

When I was considering a Subie, I borrowed an Outback and a WRX, just to see what 50k mile Subarus sounded like. They sounded cheap and they rattled. I wasn't impressed as I was coming from a V70 Volvo which had always been solid. I now have 50k miles on an A6 avant and have had a few problems with it, but it's solid as a rock. I've never had a rattle or a creak. Remember that the Audi link multi suspension (no McPhearsons or A-arms) is much better at ironing out bumps and hence likely stresses the chassis less over miles.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:21 PM

From my personal experience, Audies are also easier to repair. usually the older the easier. Also the Audi is luxurius car, the subis mostly are cheap cars, that just function. Mostly all Asian cars are. In USA from what I observed, they dont have long term relationship. You drive the car for 2-3 years and give it away. In europe you hold the car much longer.
So Asian cheap cars, that are like one time use, they just get them and then throw away.
But European cars you keep them till death do you part.

When I was searching for my car, I almost gave up, so I tried out some Toyotas and Hondas, couse I though well they are cheap, and I might like them. Well I was so wrong, I hated them, I do not know why people even like them. The suspension was so soft, going over 60MPH was scarry. Engine didnt have enough power to push the car from the stop. Basically its just a car, and it needes more refindment.

get BWM, Audi, Vw, any german made car would satisfy me. dont get MB, they are bad now, they bough chrysler, and it;s like caring around dead meat. MB should just dump chrysler, and restore its older gloary.

PS when a guy tels me that he drives like Toyota or something. And he argues with me that my car sucks, I just invite him for a drive, and usally guys like that just shut up ones they get a ride in one. I drive Audi 90 1995 V6, and I am proud.
I never let ricers into my car, never.
Racers and regular people are invited.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear

I bought a used 2003 A6 2.7T MT6 in March 2004 with 34k miles on it and now have 85k. It's almost all highway driving. I've had a few problems...
[ul][*]replaced brake sensor under warranty[*]replaced rear transmission seal under warranty (still suspicious that the dealer was raping Audi on this one)[*]cured a head gasket cooling fluid leak with radiator stop-leak[*]had the alternator fail after hitting a pothole at 70k[*]replaced the headlight washing system once, and the right side is leaking again[/ul]
I also installed a GIAC chip, Bailey diverters, and a Samco TBB. I drive it gently but fast. So, is it reliable?Not as much as I would have expected from a Germanluxury sports touring car, but not bad. The ride is great, the Bose is awesome, and it sticks to the road like it's on rails in snow.

Oh, I forgot to mention a medium-loud whine (from my wife) when I accelerate hard or drive too fast.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:39 AM
4th Gear

Here the thing dont buy a new audi unless you have the money, i like my audi because its easy to work on since its more mechanical than electrical, yes very nice interior, and i like the overall styling. also its not a cop magnet or something ricers want to go against. yes audi have alot of problems no doubt but i depends on the owner. my previous a4 was meticulously cared for and thus ran great. my current a4 has a few problems but that is because it wasent maintained(mostly suspension stuff) as for the engine its in perfect conditions and keeps pulling upto 130mph easy until the governor kicks in. so , if your gonna blow 30k think it this ways cheap thrills and japenese reliability, get the subie, wants something that is safe and nice and requires a slightly above average maintenece go for the audi.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

I brought a A4 1997 Audi Tdi 2 years ago with 370,000km on the clock, and no breakdowns or other visits to the garage apart from servicing in this time. It was formerly a sales rep car and had a full Audi history from new (that was the selling point for me). Lovely ride and this year took me and the family all over europe without a problem. My mates VW passat estate, also a diesel has had repeated turbo problems, window faults, and now the heater is broke in the same period and he has a 2002 model.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Can't say for sure that I'd buy another Audi or not. I have owned a 2004 Audi A6 2.7T S-Line. The car now has 40k on it and you'd swear by the issues that it had far more than that. The car looks and drives beautiful....when it wants to of course. Too many major issues for a very well maintained and babied car.