General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear
Default please help

so i was looking for some info and found this forum...i hope someone can help me out. i have my audi back in pa and moved to ca and havent brought my car here yet because i dont know if its worth the drive....since i dont know if it will pass smog or not. does anyone know how i can find out? its a 99 a4 1.8t. i really dont want to spend the money to bring it here if it wont pass smog. any help is much appreciated.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:36 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: please help

Check with CARB.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear

As long as the cel isnt on, i dont see why not. Unless california would be retarded enough to make someone who just moved there sell a car that is legal in the other 49 states.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

I don't think they'd make him sell it, but they can demand that the car be made to conform to CA emissions regs, if it's going to be registered in CA. Like CRAZYHAWK said, check with CARB and compare their regs with the regs in PA and see how much more stringent CA is than PA. Other than that, there's probably not much you can do, other than sell the car in PA and buy another when you get back out west (it may turn out to be less hassle that way in any event, and less expense, although a cross-country drive would be fun).

Old 01-01-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

thanks so much for all the help. i tried going the less-hassle route by selling it but its been almost 6 months now and no buyers.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Senior Administrator

two things:

Generally, Audi are 50-state smog legal cars. If your car is in a good state of tune, and, as someone mentioned, not showing a check-engine-light (CEL), there should be no reason it wouldn't pass CARB.

If you're set on selling it, and are asking a reasonable price, we have a perfectly useful Classifieds Section, right here. And, since you're already a member, you don't hafta bother with any of that pesky registration bother, all over again.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 AM
3rd Gear

Generally, Audi are 50-state smog legal cars.
Thats one of my concerns. I think they did away with that in 97 or 98. But alot of manufacturers had special california packages for a while. I just dont know if all the non california package cars are banned.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 AM
1st Gear

i guess im going to have to call an audi dealer and find out

Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: dankhound

Generally, Audi are 50-state smog legal cars.
Thats one of my concerns. I think they did away with that in 97 or 98. But alot of manufacturers had special california packages for a while. I just dont know if all the non california package cars are banned.
Gud point. Hadn't thought of that. Maybe a little research on the internet will reveal the answer. I rillt wud do it for you, but, I've just started on a new contract, so my time is limited, for the next couple of months. If you can hold off until sat or sun, I should have some time, then, to try and run down an answer...