General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

P0014 Code after timing job

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM
1st Gear
Default P0014 Code after timing job

Hi all,
Sorry for such a long explanation, but I am at my WHIT'S END!!! Ok, have a 2002 A4 with 3.0L AVK motor.
Timing belt went and took out both heads...changed the heads, did full timing and seal service and have been running the car for about 1000 miles now. It runs great....BUT the check engine light comes on in about a day's time with code P0014 Camshaft B bank 1 (can't remember the VAG number for the code). I have REDONE everything a number of times....swapped cam sensors to see if the code moves and it doesn't,stays on the Right side exhaust cam. This weekend I took the timing all apart, changed the oil fed adjuster gaskets along with cam end gaskets, cleaned the right bank adjust SUPER GOOD...reset all of the timing from scratch using all the right tools etc. Started right up, runs GREAT....put about 25 miles on it today with no problem....THEN the CEL came on with that same CAM fault code. When it did, I shut the car off and it took about 8 tries to get it to restart.
I have been chasing this code for MONTHS now....does anyone have ANY ideas as to just what is going on????
The cam gear adjust seemed ok....but I didn't take the two plungers out.
The ONE thing that I did have trouble with during the timing set was using the special tool T40028 on the two exhaust cams before tightening the cam gear bolts. The socket seems to just slip off the inner sprockets instead of moving the gear at all....not sure if that has ANYTHING to do with this....but I need any and all help/ideas I can get.
PLEASE!!!
Thanks everyone.
Rob

Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MHCRRA1
Hi all,
Sorry for such a long explanation, but I am at my WHIT'S END!!! Ok, have a 2002 A4 with 3.0L AVK motor.
Timing belt went and took out both heads...changed the heads, did full timing and seal service and have been running the car for about 1000 miles now. It runs great....BUT the check engine light comes on in about a day's time with code P0014 Camshaft B bank 1 (can't remember the VAG number for the code). I have REDONE everything a number of times....swapped cam sensors to see if the code moves and it doesn't,stays on the Right side exhaust cam. This weekend I took the timing all apart, changed the oil fed adjuster gaskets along with cam end gaskets, cleaned the right bank adjust SUPER GOOD...reset all of the timing from scratch using all the right tools etc. Started right up, runs GREAT....put about 25 miles on it today with no problem....THEN the CEL came on with that same CAM fault code. When it did, I shut the car off and it took about 8 tries to get it to restart.
I have been chasing this code for MONTHS now....does anyone have ANY ideas as to just what is going on????
The cam gear adjust seemed ok....but I didn't take the two plungers out.
The ONE thing that I did have trouble with during the timing set was using the special tool T40028 on the two exhaust cams before tightening the cam gear bolts. The socket seems to just slip off the inner sprockets instead of moving the gear at all....not sure if that has ANYTHING to do with this....but I need any and all help/ideas I can get.
PLEASE!!!
Thanks everyone.
Rob
Things to check for P0014

-Low Oil Pressure
-Bad VCT unit
-Bad Solenoid
-Electrical connection to the solenoid

Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Paul,
Thank you for the suggestions....I've checked oil pressure and that is within spec....does anyone know how to check for a bad VCT or bad Solenoid??? Other than just a visual inspection which I've done.
Thanks.
Rob

Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MHCRRA1
Paul,
Thank you for the suggestions....I've checked oil pressure and that is within spec....does anyone know how to check for a bad VCT or bad Solenoid??? Other than just a visual inspection which I've done.
Thanks.
Rob
Giving the connectors a squirt of contact cleaner may be worth a try.
If you disconnect the electrical connector to the solenoids, you should measure
Between Pins 1 & 2 7.4 to 8.2 ohms
Between Pins 2 & 3 12.8 to 14.2 ohms.

There is a test procedure for the VCT and solenoids in the iBahn Bentley repair manual but it needs a VAS 5051 test system which is a $$$ dealer test set.

When you put the cam carrier back on the head did you use the Audi specific anaerobic sealer between the head and the carrier. Last year I sorted out a friends AVK engine where he had used a generous amount of RTV and had blocked the oil feed to the left bank hydraulic unit.

You can read the degree of cam adjustment during a drive cycle if you have the right code reader that can monitor the Audi specific PIDs. The unit I have has a monitor that show the PID ( to #108) values while driving. If I want to spend the $$ I can load Audi specific PIDs which include the cam degrees.

If you are anywhere near N. VA I have a spare set of good AVK heads with the solenoids and VCT you could try.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

Paul,
Thanks for the info and the offer of new heads. I did not remove the cams from the heads when I swapped out these heads, I just installed them as they were. I have iBahn Bentley and a genuine Vag-Com....I will check to see if I can figure out how to read the cam degree in Vag Com and maybe that will shed some light on things.
When I did the initial timing job with heads, I completely disassembled the oil pump and screen and cleaned out as much of the engine oil passages etc. that I could. Same thing when I reset the timing this weekend....cleaned all the passages, rings, etc. for the Right bank VCT and such.....
Do you think it could be the cam gear itself? Does anyone know of a specific way to read the cams while the engine is running with Vag Com??