General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Temp Gauge in Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil Temp Gauge in Coupe

Hi,

I just recently got a 1995 Audi Coupe 2.0E but the oil temp gauge on the centre console doesnt seem to work. From searching on google etc it seems like this is a common problem but i couldnt find any fixes.

Does anyone have any advice to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Keith.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:26 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Oil Temp Gauge in Coupe

Unfortunatly im not famiar enuf with the coupes to give you a probale failure. But the system is anything like id expect it to be youll have an oil temp sensor on the engine somewhere. This will send a signal to the gauge. Where is the needle reading? One way to test such a gauge is to unplug it. With it unplugged you should get the lowest reading. Then use a paper clip to short the two terminals together. This should result in the highest possible reading. This is of course assuming you have power to the sensor. If the gauge reacts with this test you need a new sensor. Otherwise you have a bad gauge or a wiring problem somewhere.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dankhound

Unfortunatly im not famiar enuf with the coupes to give you a probale failure. But the system is anything like id expect it to be youll have an oil temp sensor on the engine somewhere. This will send a signal to the gauge. Where is the needle reading? One way to test such a gauge is to unplug it. With it unplugged you should get the lowest reading. Then use a paper clip to short the two terminals together. This should result in the highest possible reading. This is of course assuming you have power to the sensor. If the gauge reacts with this test you need a new sensor. Otherwise you have a bad gauge or a wiring problem somewhere.

Yes it does sound like the sensor has died. The needle has never moved from the 'lowest' position. Thanks for all the info! I'm going to have look at it at the weekend.

........expect posts such as 'HELP! I've just broken my Oil Temp Gauge' or 'ARGH i've taken a gauge out the dash and cant get it to fit back in'

Old 09-07-2006, 02:14 AM
3rd Gear

Dont do the testing at the gauge. You need to find out where the sensor is and do the testing there. You want to simulate very high and very lower resistance values for the sensor. Then you will at least know if the gauge is functioning or it needs to be replaced. Odds are the issues is with the sensor and not the gauge.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dankhound

Dont do the testing at the gauge. You need to find out where the sensor is and do the testing there. You want to simulate very high and very lower resistance values for the sensor. Then you will at least know if the gauge is functioning or it needs to be replaced. Odds are the issues is with the sensor and not the gauge.

Yes, luckily enough i know a garage owner who has a diagnosis machine to test the CPU and all the sensors etc so hopefully that will pick up any faults in the system.