General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil sensor issue with recent oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil sensor issue with recent oil change

First off, I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to read this. This will be my first post here though I've had my audi for a couple of years (and have loved every moment of owning it).

I'd also like to get this out of the way: I love my car, but am a noob in the car enthusiast/knowledge department. I go to service to get my oil changed if you know what I mean. My apologies.

I used to have a regular mechanic that I went to for all my car issues and maintenance. He was a friend of my father's and a great mechanic. Through him, I have been through 3 or 4 oil changes for my audi with no problems. Said mechanic moved out of state so I decided to take my business to the local Audi dealership and service. My thoughts being who else would know my car better? I was a bit underwhelmed honestly. Like I said, I am not a car enthusiast, but I am aware that an oil change is pretty basic to do. I did not expect issues.

Once my car was returned to me, I started her up and put her in drive. Instantly, she emitted a loud attention beep and and a oil can (i presume) image along with the word "sensor" appeared on my dash.

Never seen this before. I walked back in to service, and they took my car back again. After only a few moments, they handed back my keys and said they were not totally sure, but they think my oil sensor had gotten stuck at the top. I was told it was not a big deal and that they'd "look into it" the next time I happened to have my car serviced. I found this very disappointing, but I'll spare you all from further rants.

Every time I drive my car now, she beeps and displays this message. Is this something I should worry about and take to a different service shop or is it really no big deal? If the sensor is indeed stuck at the top, does that mean they filled my car with too much oil? I'm not too keen on driving another 3k miles without a better understanding of potential issues.

And as per the sticky:
1. Year of car: 2004
2. Model of car: A4
3. What engine & TIP or 6sp: I'm sorry...I dunno! I'm such a noob!
4. Miles: ~85k
5. FWD or Quattro: Quattro
6. Any CELs or stored codes: um...not that I know of?

Thank you all very, very much for your help,
Jessica

Last edited by jessicabrookhouse1; 07-23-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added picture