General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Burning Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil Burning Problem

Hey guys,

I own a 98 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 5spd with 42k ORIGINAL MILES.
I've had it for a while and have finally decided to address it's only flaw. Under normal driving conditions (keeping her below 3k RPMs) she does not burn ANY oil. However, on the rare occasion that I bring her above 3k, I can smell a slight oil burning scent.

My friend has also followed me when I did a 3rd gear pull out to around 5k RMPs and said that he couldn't see any smoke or anything, but could definitely smell the same oil burning scent.

The car was sitting in an underground garage for 9 years (hence the low mileage), and my only thought was that the gaskets (head gasket, valve cover gasket, other?) need to be replaced because they corroded when the car sat for a long time?

Does this make any sense to anyone other than myself?
Like I said, under 3k RPMs the car does not burn a single drop of oil, only when the car is pushed a little harder (which I do not do often!).

I have had the car certified that it is a true 42k miles car. The engine is completely stock and hasn't even had the timing belt replaced. All fluids have been changed, but that's all that the engine has ever needed.

Thanks to anyone with any thoughts!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Certified

You probably have a leaky valve cover & or cam tensioner seals leaking onto the exhaust system. the exhaust gets hotter with higher rpm's so any oil in that area will be burning.

As far as the timing belt , GET IT REPLACED SOON!

A 14 year old timing belt is a engine waiting to to have cylinder heads full of bent valves. If you are not capable , find someone who is!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

M5S5,

Had the timing belt inspected and they said it's good until 50k.
Do you know of a valve cover gasket DIY?
Couldn't seem to find one.
Also how hard is it to fix the cam tensioner seals?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Certified

Well the valve cover has to be removed to get to the cam tensioner (doing one now at my lift). You will need a special tool that compresses the tensioner enough so it can be lifted off the cylinder head enough to get the old gasket & 1/2 moon plug out.
The tool # i have is as4808. Google it & i am sure you will find one , they are not that expensive.

Valve cover gasket # is 058-198-025a
Cam tensioner gasket set is 058-198-217

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

Wow thanks for the great info.
I'll look into that and hopefully that will fix it.

Much appreciated.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Ignore the timing system at your own risk. Glad the belt looks good, but then again out of all the timing jobs I've done, I've only seen one or two where the belt looks bad. It's the tensioners that fail. Any mechanic familiar with Audi will know that. If it were my car, I'd do it now. You'll have to do it in any event before too long so why take a chance by waiting a few thousand miles?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default agree with the devil

I recently did a timing belt kit and new radiator on my 04 A4 1.8 (105,000 miles) and had been told by a 'credible' mechanic that the T belt 'looked good' and was done around 75k miles. when I got inside, the tensioner was completely expanded, so it wasn't providing much tension and might have failed very soon. By the way I found the project easier on the B6 than on the B5, but maybe it was because I finally figured out how those damn electrical connections come apart. someone could do an entire sticky on that alone.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default alright alright

Ok, I'm convinced. Better safe than sorry.
I'll get it done soon thanks guys.

Anyone know where I can buy a head gasket kit? I think I'm going to buy a timing belt kit and valve cover gasket kit from blauparts.com.

Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Administrator

FCP Groton for both - pricing is great and their parts are also known good.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
FCP Groton for both - pricing is great and their parts are also known good.
Perfect thanks for all your help.
Truly an Audi guru.

Quick Reply: Oil Burning Problem