General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need some help with A3 audio setup please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Need some help with A3 audio setup please.

I am trying to get as much info as I can before I attempt an install. I have read multiple threads on the forums about this but want to clarify a few things. Firstly here’s what I have to install:

Alpine: CDA-9854R Headunit : http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4588.html
Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6x9's : http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/3922.html
4 Channel 600w Amp : http://thebassbin.co.uk/shop/product...s_id/1530.html
12" Pioneer Sub

I have a 99 A3 with a concert radio + 6 cd changer (non-bose as far as I know...). I will be running the sub and 6x9's off the amp and leaving the default speakers at the front for now. I realise this will make the sound fill from the rear but I haven’t got the cash for a good pair of front components right now! My questions if anyone would be so kind are:

1. What would be the easiest method of installing the power cable? I have read about routing it from the ECU box through to the driver side knee bolster. Also through the grommet that is used for the hood release cable. What would be the least hassle?

2. Using a wiring adapter should be all that is needed to get all speakers running from the head unit? I should be able to disable the rear speakers and install my 6x9's instead? Leaving the fronts being powered by the HU.

3. I can run the RCA's and remote wire down the lower side trim of the car and the power cable the other side. Would running it down the centre of the car be easier wouldthis result in the power cable being to close the RCA's? going my the width of the centre arm rest a gap of 6 inches between the wires is all there would be if I went with that option.

4. I have 3 pre outs on the HU (front, rear and sub) currently only the rear is being used which I then use split to ch1/3 and ch 2/4 on the amp. Should I run both sub and rear pre outs to the amp and not have the splitters? I am not entirely sure of the difference that would make?

5. Finally is there anything that I have overlooked? Or any other suggestions that may be of use?

I have searched around on the forums and got an idea of how to proceed, but any clarification for my particular case would be great.

Cheers.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Default RE: Need some help with A3 audio setup please.

hey just fitted a amp in the rear of my 00 a3, like wise i had trouble routing the power cable to the boot. i ran the the cable along the underneath of the car, and up through a grommet under the spare wheel. this worked a dream alot easier than through the bulk head, just run the cable along the brake pipes..
if it is a bose system there is a small amp and sub just over the left rear wheel arch. you can power this tru one of the rcds using a simple home made loom, worked for me.