General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Must be misfire night. Cyl 1&4 on mine

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:43 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Must be misfire night. Cyl 1&4 on mine

Well the compression test was done and I have no compression in cyl. 1 but I do have compression in cyl. 2
I also swapped out the spark plugs just in case and the plugs were fine.
I figure the valves are bent but I'm not sure.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 PM
3rd Gear

Its a posiblitly. You need to run cylinder leak down test. Then you will find air leaking thru the intake or exhaust(if the valves are bent/burned), or from the oil fill cap if the leak is in the bottom of the engine somewhere. Theres also the rare posiblitly of a leak into the coolant. You can test that with a kit that will tell you if theres exhaust gas in your coolant.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

Well I took it to the mechanic. The diagnos was free so I decided why not. The guy didn't tell me anything new.
He said 2 cyl not workin and that he could do a tear down for $450, but if I decide on repairing it with him it'll go towards cost for repairs.
I think I should just buy a new engine or rebuild from head to toe and drive a junler around for now.
Do you think the rebuild is worth it?
the car has 145,000 miles on it and i can get a used one in working order for $2600 shipped.
Install not so sure whats a good price 4 install?

Thanks again Dankhound

Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

You really need to get a cylinder leak down test done. If its just a couple of bad valves you can get just those valves replaced.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

Ok I am getting my car back on wednesday. Would the leak down test be easy to do ?
I will head to auto zone same day as car pick up.
I am leaning towards a full rebuild of the whole block. I dont want to rebuild half the motor with the other half not done.
Also if I do rebuild, chances are I will upgrade my rods and a few other parts because I do plan on doing some seriousupgrades to the car in the future.
Buy a junker and rebuildmy carexactly how I want it.
What do you think?

Old 11-03-2007, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear

Its not hard to do. You will need an air compressor thou. Basically you put the engine on tdc of the compression stroke(youll have to pull the valvecover to make sure both valves are closed. Then the leakdown tester presurizes the cylinder. Air will leak from either the intake or exhaust if the valves are leaking. Tailpipe and throttle body would be a good place to listen for those. The oil fill will have an air leak noise if the rings, or piston are at fault. If the head gasket is leaking you will hear air from the spark plug hole on an adjacent cylinder.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:11 AM
1st Gear

Ok , so all I have to get is the leakdown tester from autozone. I have a compressor. Finally, remove the valve coverand listen for leaks. I'll be able to start working on this by wednesday.