General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Loud engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:53 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Loud engine noise

Have you had the oil pressure checked? If the noise appears only while the engine is hot, you might have an oil pump related problem, which does happen in these cars. Running it like this can lead to big (read:expensive) problems.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Cruz-

What's the deal with your car...what was the diagnosis? I've gotta take mine in soon for the same problem and I would like to avoid getting charged extra if at all possible! I figure I'll probably just replace the Cam Position Sensor for about $90 and go from there....

LampyB.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

If there is a problem with you oil pump/oil sludge. They should replace the cam tensioner as well under the Unlimited 7 or 8year? warranty

Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

"They should replace the cam tensioner as well under the Unlimited 7 or 8year? warranty "

What do you mean by this? I may have a warranty? I bought the car used, its a 2001.
What should I do?

Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

Yeah If it has an oil sludge problem. ONly if.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

*If* there is an oil sludging problem, the dealer will only cover it under a 7-8 yr. warranty if you have ALL maintenance records...of oil changes and whatnot...for the car's entire life.

I bought my car at 80k, and I gave the dealer the VIN and they are looking up the warrantied maintenance records for me. If they come up with them and the previous owner did indeed get all of the required oil changes, they dealer will cover my problem.

This is still IF there is a sludging problem and the oil pump needs to be replaced....

LampyB.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Is there a way to tell yourself if its an oil Sludging problem?

Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Cruz734

Is there a way to tell yourself if its an oil Sludging problem?
Remove the valve cover, & tell us what it looks like.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

well actually the sludging problem could be located down by the oil pump. you'll need to drop the oil pan (quite extensive in the 01 A4 B5 1.8T), then just take a look at the screen at the bottom of the pan, attached to the hose that pulls oil into the engine. i can't remember the name of the hose, lol...

If this screen is all clotted up, replace it and hopefully it'll increase the oil flow into the engine, thus increasing engine oil pressure, thus getting rid of the rattle. checking and replacing the screen is a piece of cake. dropping the oil pan is a PITA and will take somewhere around like 4-6 hrs...the Bentley manual says to even raise the engine up a little bit, but I believe there are ways around this step....

LampyB.

ps. I'm going to take my car in today or wed. to have this problem diagnosed. If it is the oil pump/oil pressure indeed, this will mean BIG PROBLEMS AND BIG MONEY if your oil pressure light comes on eventually!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

ok Cruz...so I took my car in for a diagnosis this weekend. It is NOT a sludging/oil pump problem, woohoo! On the other hand, it's going to cost like $600 or so because the Cam Chain Tensioner is bad. This is serious, if the cam chain breaks it's going to be worse than a timing belt break....meaning BIG money.

I was advised to replace it ASAP, and to take it easy on my car if I can't get it replaced immediately.

The cam position tensioner is failing, causing the cam chain to be a bit slack, which in turn creates the rattle that we're hearing. FYI

LampyB.

Quick Reply: Loud engine noise