General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Loud engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Loud engine noise

I posted this in the A4 area earlier and recevied very helpful replys from one person. If anyone could add in here that would be great.
2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Automatic with 56K miles.

My 2001 A4 1.8T is making a really loud rattle while at low RPM. When the I raise RPMs above 1100 it goes away and it never happens with a cold engine except for a secondduring the initial start-up. The dealership wants $145 for a diagnostic test but I thought I'd see if anyone on here knows what the problem is and how much is a good price to fix it. An engineflush and oil changedidnt help.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Loud engine noise

Does the sound come from under the car? In the engine bay? Sounds like you may have a cat that is damaged.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

Does it come from over by the timing cover?

Old 04-10-2007, 03:00 AM
1st Gear

It seems like it is coming from the top middle rear of the engine
Below are the DTCs that were set and have been cleared
P0300- Random multiple cylinder misfire
P0301- misfire cylinder 1
P0303- misfire cylinder 3
P0304- misfire cylinder 4
P0011- Camshaft Positon actuatorA bank 1 Timing over advanced
Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:43 PM
3rd Gear

Bad cam sensor, or your timing is a little off. Hopefully it's the sensor.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Do I hope its the sensor because of cost? If so ,what could I expect as far as price for each?
Also, I dropped it off with a mechanic this morning, how can i be sure that he fixed what he says he fixed and not bill me for a timing problem when he fixed a sensor problem?

Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

The cam sensor itself will be about $90, but if it's the actual cam adjustor that needs to be replaced I was quoted $800 by an audi stealership. As 2kS4 was saying, if your timing is off it might just be because of the sensor. I'm not sure why you just dropped your car off and told them to fix it, you should have asked them to just diagnose the problem because if it is indeed just a sensor, it's like a ten minute job to replace it. They'll charge you more money for the part than if you'd purchase it yourself, and they'll charge you at least an hours labor for the ten minute job!

Let me know what the problem was, how they fixed it and how much it costs because I have the same issue with my car and it's getting bad...thanks!

LampyB.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

I didnt just drop it off and tell them to fix it. I just dropped it off to get the ball rolling and find out exactly whats wrong with it. Can someone with little auto-know-how replace the sensor or should I just have them do it?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he wanted to do some "exploritory" diagnostic which would require the valve cover to be removed and the gasket replaced for$239.00. What should I do. It seems like I could do that for less. Please help

Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

If you've never really worked on an engine before I wouldn't recommend taking the valve cover off. As simple as it is, there's a lot of stuff you don't want to touch in there unless you know what you're doing.

If you know your way around the engine a little bit you should be able to replace the Cam Sensor, it's on the exterior of the valve cover (in the rear I believe, towards the dash). If you decide to get the diagnosis done by your mechanic I'd suggest asking him to find out exactly what needs to be done, and to call you when he finds out (before he goes ahead and fixes anything). If something needs to be fixed in the engine cylinder you'll want him to let you know what it is, the cost, and to just leave the valve head off until he talks to you. If he just diagnoses the problem and puts the valve head back on and calls you, it's going to cost $239 in labor twice for him to actually remove it again and then actually fix the problem.

It is sounding like your problem isn't just the Cam Sensor, and if it is, the mechanic should be able to tell before he opens your valve head. If it's the sensor I'd try replacing it myself...if you're unsure I wouldn't just go ahead and replace the sensor because it costs around $90. If that's not the problem, you're out $90, and you'll still have to pay for the major repair!

Keep me updated though, I'd like to know what the problem is! Good Luck!

LampyB.

Quick Reply: Loud engine noise