General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Looking at a 1993 100S have some concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking at a 1993 100S have some concerns.

Hello all,
I've been lurking around here a while, been reading a lot of the transmission stuff. Hopefully this problem is nothing major as this car is a really good deal IMO.

To start off, I'm a long time Audi/VW fan but will be a first time owner, I'm a mechanic of many years and not too afraid of crawling around under an Audi. The only experience I have with VWs was a clutch I replaced on a Golf 337. That was a nightmare. haha

The car is a 1993 100S, it has an automatic transmission and 234k on the odo.
Asking price is $850. It is the CLEANEST car I've ever seen over 150k. And is owned by an "Audi Head" who owns the Quattro version of the same car and a few older Audis.

My only concern is the transmission, the car was clearly cared for and it is apparent inside and out. The owner claims the fluid is low therefore it has a hard time getting out of second gear, the neutral safety switch appears to be functioning and I don't think that it is the problem. There are no problems with reverse.

I drove the car 6 miles and the first few stop signs the car would not leave second. I got out on the open road and got up to 45 then the owner explained his method for getting the car into 3rd. He instructed me to shift into neutral then back into drive and voila it went into third then 4th.

It was a little hard but my daily driver is a 302 swapped Ford Ranger with a built AOD auto, so hard shifts are very familiar to me.

Once the car warmed up I stopped at a stop light and then turned, after the turn it did it one more time and was remedied by shifting into neutral the turning the car off and starting it back up. After that 7 stop signs and 3 speed bumps later the car drove beautifully all the way back to his home.

I'm just worried about putting my wife and baby in the car and me getting a call from her saying "D isn't working".

I was all for changing the neutral safety switch the $300 seemed well worth it.

Now, my plan is to get the car and do a fluid filter change, I will not be getting it flushed because I don't want to deal with the possible problems associated with the flush.

Should I take the risk? Could it be as simple as there not being enough fluid in the transmission? If this were my Ford I would have no problem changing fluid and calling it done. But I know nothing about these transmissions and have found many people praising them, but none with almost 250k...

I really don't want to pass this thing up, its immaculate inside and runs like a top. It is a perfect baby hauler for a perfect price.

Last edited by nickconforti; 08-22-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

Okay, im digging this back up.

I ended up purchasing the car. The fluid level was correct so I pulled the pan and discovered the guys mechanic didn't install the oring on the filter.

New filter and Mobil tranny fluid later I've put 4k on the car without any tranny issues.

This thing is rock solid, I will be owning at least one Audi from here on out. Ill probably get another 100k out of this thing without any major repairs.