General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

it's oil leaking from somewhere!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Default RE: it's oil leaking from somewhere!!

I have been reading alot on this issue with the 2.8 and it appears to be quite commonplace.

This is my first post here and I am the new owner of a 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro. I got the car at an auction for $3400 and the car is immaculate. But I have seen this leak issue as well. Out of curiosity, what should the average to normal cost to have the Cam Seals replaced be?

And also (a little off topic) but what is the most common issue for a Transmission Oil Leak? (5 Speed Manual please).

Old 03-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Site Moderator

2.8L engines don't have a lot of crankcase problems, but do have massive amounts of cam seal problems. The cam adjuster seals are on the rear of the head on the passenger's side and the front of the head on the
driver's side, if you see oil on both sides of the engine its almost a sure thing. Replacing them can be costly ($1,500) if done at the dealer, but the parts are really cheap and they aren't hard to do. If you remove the valve covers you need a special tool to compress the cam tensioner and you can use vice grips to roll over the cams and pick out the half moon cam seal with a small 90 degree pick. (Total about $250 with the special tool purchased)

Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

2.8L engines don't have a lot of crankcase problems, but do have massive amounts of cam seal problems. The cam adjuster seals are on the rear of the head on the passenger's side and the front of the head on the
driver's side, if you see oil on both sides of the engine its almost a sure thing. Replacing them can be costly ($1,500) if done at the dealer, but the parts are really cheap and they aren't hard to do. If you remove the valve covers you need a special tool to compress the cam tensioner and you can use vice grips to roll over the cams and pick out the half moon cam seal with a small 90 degree pick. (Total about $250 with the special tool purchased)
What is the tool that is needed and is there a step by step DIY thread for the Cam Seal replacements?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

the tool for cam seal replacement is called a 3366 tool. i got mine at techtonics.com for $30. chek audidiy.com for how to change cam seals.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

the camseals usaully leak from the middle rear sides of the engine and they are a pain in the **** to replace and its one of the most common oil leaks in the 2.8 engine. Im on my third set of gaskets at the moment and the seem to be holding up well. with this leak you'll never find it but you will see oil all over the lower parts of your engine and at higher speed and RPM youll defiinitely smell it.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:10 AM
1st Gear

first thing you got to do is clean the motor down and look for it that way. their might be some kind of dye that a black light can pick up where its leaking. thats what the mechanics at my job do. you could power wash it with a cleaner but be careful with those machines cause they can be to powerful when pressed close to wires and paint.