General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Exclamation I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/

Hey you guys...last month, I bought a 2004 audi s4..its a 6mt and I bought it with 42900 miles..it currently has 43300 miles. I noticed a little bit of trouble shifting into 1st and from 1st to second, I almost had to force while wiggling the **** a bit to get it into place...I also noticed that when I accelerated the engine, there was a whining type noise coming from the transmission. Not too too noticable, but you could still hear it. I'm thinking that has something to do with the flywheel, like its bearing or something? And now..(oh boy) yesterfay night, I took off from my condo...went to about 5600rpm in 1st, shifted to second, got to about 5700 rpm or so, then when I shifted into third, I stepped on the gas but the car did not accelerate. I thought I had missed the shift, but the **** was in place alrigyt, yet a bit loose..and then I slowed down and I tried shifting into third again...this time it didn't even go in! And I tried shifting into third again and this time it worked, except there was a very loud noise coming from my transmission..sort of like scraping and scratching, or as if there were little pieces of metal just spinning around and making noise. I tried giving it gas but it wasn't really moving, it made more noise than move. Then I slowed down almost to stop, and I troed 2nd gear, and the **** wouldn't even enter 2nd gear. Now neither 2nd or 3rd seems to be working for some reason...and now I'm scared as heel, I don't kno what to do. I don't have money for a dealer repair right now :/ times are tough you guys. And I can't just drive around with my car like this, its basically impossible...I need help! Could it be my clutch? Flywheel? Gears? I don't kno wats wrong you guys, I need some ideas, some help, advice, any experiences? Please help me out as soon as you guys can, I really need it. I was going to a car event tomorrow, the braman track day out at palm beach international raceway, but so much for that. What in the world am I going to do now???

Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Same song second verese

I am having the same problem with my S4, and any insight would be appreciated, did you ever figure out what it was? Syncros? Misadjusted shifter? Splines? idk... Been forum trolling for ages and still haven't found any definitive answers.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 AM

Hey apsbainc. Unfortunately my problem ended up being a bit bigger than expected :/ I first took it to braman audi here in so. fla. And they said that a new clutch would fix it. So i told them that if they were absolutely sure, to go ahead and do it. Turns out it did not help at all!!! So I took the car out of there, never to take it back there again!! I then brought it to tuners mall down in coral springs. Ther are absolutely wonderful and seem to be very honest. They took pictures of everything they did and sent it to me, as well as explained everything and made sure it was ok to go ahead. So they took apart the tranny, and happens to be that the teeth on most of the gears were very worn out and even chipped. The synchros were also bad, and one of them even fused together, not exactly sure what he said about that.. I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to trannys . I ended up having to order a new transmission from Germany so you can only imagine the price of everything in the end. My warranty had already ended so I had to pay myself..at least this new tranny has a 12000 miles, 1 year warranty, better than nothing. Now the car is as good as new though. I think the only way for you yo find out for sure is to take the tranny apart..sometimes its hard to tell any other way.. unfortunately transmission work is super expensive hopefully tomorrow I will post the pictures of my old tranmission and its internals so you can take a look at it. I should be able to post them by tomorrow afternoon. Good luck with your Audi!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot for the info... I know its quite expensive thats why I am going to do it myself... But parts arent cheap either. The clutch is shot so I have to drop the tranny anyway, so its not like I have to do it for nothing. I have seen some info that the shift linkage can be buggered, so I am hoping that that is the problem and that the gears arent all shot to hell like yours were, that would be a most unfortunate situation. Some pics would be greatly appreciated, It would be good to know what to look for.

=)

Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM

here are some of the pics...i am uploading the rest...sorry for the delay. i couldn't get to it earlier.

Attached Thumbnails I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-1.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-2.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-3.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-22.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-55.jpg  

Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 PM

here are some more

Attached Thumbnails I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-1212.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-1232.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-2222.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-2223.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-33333.jpg  

Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 PM

that's all of them that i recieved from the folks over at TuneRS Mall. Seems like a very arduous task. Hopefully you have all the necessary tools and equipment to work on it. Makes things much easier!

Attached Thumbnails I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-43434.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-343433.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-2323333.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-5675676.jpg   I need HELP! Transmission troubles!! :/-34333333.jpg