General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Help please

I know I have seen this on the board before, but can't find it with a search (I've tried several ways, zip). Closest thread I found was the coolant temp sensor.

My 99 A4 2.8 started acting up, but only after fueling up. It never fails to start, hot or cold, but for some reason after getting gas, it is hard to start. I've replaced the gas cap thinking it had something to do with system pressure, still happens. I did see the thread where most suggested the coolant temp sensor, but it ONLY happens after getting gas. What the heck?

If you know what it is or know the specific thread I know I have seen before, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by Tonyd; 01-22-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

(sound of crickets)

Anyone?

Beuler...Beuler...

Old 01-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator

A CTS sensor sounds like a good start to me, plus its cheap. IF that doesn't work i would get the fault codes checked and go from there.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

im just throwing it out there and am not sure if it is a issue.

but on some of the older evap sys. there is no protection to the evap canister from over fillling the gas tank. and once you do it the evap is shot. but you would have a code for it.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks guys. The thread I did find mentioning the Coolant Temp Sensor seemed to indicate hard starts whenever the car was warm. My problem only surfaces when I get gas. But like you said, it's cheap so I think I'll go ahead and do it.

The Evap may be it, I pulled a 0455 Evap Leak Large code. Could that be it then? I've checked all hoses and could not find any leaks. I know a shop that has the dye tester to check for the most miniscule of leaks, but if the consensus is the Evap Canister is ruined, I'll replace that and see what happens. Any further thoughts?

Again, thanks a ton!

Tony

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator

It probably goes without saying, but replace any rubber lines around the area if you're in there doing the evap canister, just in case.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

I hear ya, I read here before that it's only like $30 from the stealer to purchase all those little hoses. I just don't want to turn this into one of those nickle and dime things you end up spending $700 bucks on and it ends up being some simple, small part. That's why I'm asking all of you that may have experianced this.

Like I mentioned in the OP, I know I have read about this before, but I just can't find it and I've searched under all kinds of word combinations. It probably is a combination of what's been mentioned. Gives me a place to start at least.

Tony