General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Got a severe vabration, NEED HELP PIN-POINTING THE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Got a severe vabration, NEED HELP PIN-POINTING THE PROBLEM

UPDATE:

Now that the tierod is swapped and I don't have the distraction of the severe vibration, I am beginning to hear new noises: when I hit "washboard" patched, I can distinctly hear a noise coming from the front suspension (I think its the right side...). The noise is is a kind of rattle, as if there is a metal piece loose somewhere. Tried shaking the wheel again, but without a lift it is kind of pointless. I'm getting a couple new wheels to put an end to my unbalanced rims issue and will have my car up on the lift on Saturday, so if anyone has additional suggestions on what I should check in addition to what has already been said here, I'd sure appreciate any and every tip and pointer!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Have your wheels roadforce balanced and you'll know for sure if it is the tires and or rims.It costs a little more but well worth it, they balance the wheels under load and adjust the position of the tire on the rim.It fixed my vibration and is the oly way to rule out the balance as the problem.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE 2: Fitted new rims (stock) with some really sweet Michelins on them today and I must say: I LOOOVE MY CAR! The ride is perfect, I'd say sublime. All the vibration and noise is gone. As is my good impression of Continentals; I remember seeing a post here saying that michelins are the only tires for an A6 and thinking "eeeh, not worth the money". I have changed my mind about 30 minutes ago after driving on Michelins! Only made it up to abou 70mph so far and no "NVH". Now if I could only find a shop that would do a proper job on alignment for me...

Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 AM
1st Gear

...and speaking of alignment:

The "brand new" tierods that were fitted to my car only a couple of weeks ago are now done, as I'm told by my alignment shop. I mean, I barely drive my car people! Yes, its ridiculous, but what's even more ridiculous is that the store that sold me the aftermarket tierods basically told me to go do myself.

what now???

I'm hearing opinions that aftermarket tierods and A6 2.7t's have always been at odds with each other. Hence, the remedy seems to be to buy the Audi tierods and put them in. This is what's going to happen next to my baby...

But if that doesn't work, I think I'll be ready to get a Lexus... God, I hope I don't have to go back to Japanese - I really love Audis...

Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

Running a new thread on tierod issues in General Tech section, please clock in there as well and leave any info you might have...