General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Facts about oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Facts about oil sludge

does this apply to the B7 (05 - present) a4 2.0T?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

nvm..i read the earlier post saying 2.0's arent affected.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

I have an '03 1.8T with 65000 miles: one morning the "Oil" light came on and almost immediately went out when I declutched. (The owner's manual states this indicates a low oil level, but the dipstick was fine.) When it happened again later that day, I pulled in to a quickie oil change place. After draining it, the guy came up and told me the oil looked incredibly clean -- I hadn't asked (yet), and had not told him it had less than 1000 miles on it.
Now 500 or so miles later, the problem is back. Does this sound like oil sludge, despite the "clean" looking oil (and the owner's manual description of the light)?

Is it worth trying the Sea Foam or is it too late?
Should I just take it to the mechanic and be prepared for a four-figure bill? I don't know much about the car's first 23000 miles and only have receipts for a few of the oil changes (and not done by a dealership).

Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 AM
1st Gear

P.S This is a world wide TSB,ANY 1.8Tengine that developes oil pressure problems due to sludge and can show oil change reciepts up to the current mileage will get the repair free of charge regardless of mileage. Including free engine replacement if the damage to the engine is too severe.

back in march my engine failed due to engine sludge. i had it towed to the dealer and they said the same thing...they said it would cost 8-10 thousand to fix it...he got Audi involved and they said if i can show all my oil receipts they would cover it...well i gave them every single receipt and then they found out that my car was a salvage title....they said that disqualified it from getting any coverage from audi....Is this true or did they just screw me over....I ended up paying 6 grand for a new head and rebuilt engine and new turbo and other parts....

Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: apr_a4

ORIGINAL: auditech79

There isn't a recall per say for it but there is a world wide TSB for it. If a 1.8T engine developes sludge and the customer can show proof of all services performed (at least every 10k) up to the current mileage the repair is free of charge by audi regardless of mileage. They will first check the bearing wear on the cams and if its ok there is a lengthy 9 hour repair to the engine. If the bearing wear is too severe you get a brand new engine courtesy of AUDI. Look at AMZE's thread about my car is broken, he got a free engine.
So keeping records of your oil changes is a must.
my car has salvage title what now?

Salvaged titles aren't listed in the TSB, if that car was serviced at the dealer at its regular services then it will be in the computer, so hopefully you kept most of your oil change reciepts.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: ucla86

I have an '03 1.8T with 65000 miles: one morning the "Oil" light came on and almost immediately went out when I declutched. (The owner's manual states this indicates a low oil level, but the dipstick was fine.) When it happened again later that day, I pulled in to a quickie oil change place. After draining it, the guy came up and told me the oil looked incredibly clean -- I hadn't asked (yet), and had not told him it had less than 1000 miles on it.
Now 500 or so miles later, the problem is back. Does this sound like oil sludge, despite the "clean" looking oil (and the owner's manual description of the light)?

Is it worth trying the Sea Foam or is it too late?
Should I just take it to the mechanic and be prepared for a four-figure bill? I don't know much about the car's first 23000 miles and only have receipts for a few of the oil changes (and not done by a dealership).
At that low of mileage? I would take it to the dealer anyway and try to tell them that you have changed your oil regularly and see what they say, especially if you have a few reciepts, they may cover it having such low mileage.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jorgito

P.S This is a world wide TSB,ANY 1.8Tengine that developes oil pressure problems due to sludge and can show oil change reciepts up to the current mileage will get the repair free of charge regardless of mileage. Including free engine replacement if the damage to the engine is too severe.

back in march my engine failed due to engine sludge. i had it towed to the dealer and they said the same thing...they said it would cost 8-10 thousand to fix it...he got Audi involved and they said if i can show all my oil receipts they would cover it...well i gave them every single receipt and then they found out that my car was a salvage title....they said that disqualified it from getting any coverage from audi....Is this true or did they just screw me over....I ended up paying 6 grand for a new head and rebuilt engine and new turbo and other parts....
The TSB as far as i know doesn't say anything about a salvage title so i would consult Audi of North America about your concern and see if you can get some type of money back or free engine repair in the future.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

Jet Jockey put a oil cooler in place of the factory smic (he has a FMIC) .. fit nearly perfect and uses the oem air channel to force air through it.. i was wanting to do the same but i gotta PM him to see how he gets the oil drained out of the cooler....

i used to have a link from www.audizine.com but lost it.. very nice writeup if u can find it though....

and im sure most of us DIY guys dont have receipts for all our oil changes......im screwed i guess

Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Newbie question about Seafoaming! Does seafoaming your car help clean any of the sludge out? I heard someone say that it helps clean out the engine and clear it of oil sludge! For me thats somewhat hard to belive, I can see some of it helping but not completly cleaning it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3s0nJ3pFHY

Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm make believe

it helps at the begining stages, but if you have a sludge problem, its to late.

Quick Reply: Facts about oil sludge