General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Facts about oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Facts about oil sludge

Audi used to use conventional oil in the 1.8T before they kept on having massive failures, now audi calls for only synthetic oil in the 1.8T. Its absolutely rediculous and ignorant for someone to say that its ok to put conventional oil in it.
To answer your question ocadam there has been no problems recorded for the 2.0T with oil sludge.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

i heard about the importance of keeping all oil change documents. my 1.8t has 32kmi on it and i am the second owner...i cannot show proof of oil changes as the previous owner is unknown to me...assuming i save everything from here on out and i run into sludge problems say...at 60k miles how would your dealership handle this? is audi pretty good about this or do they try to get out of this TSB fix as much as possible?s

Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Site Moderator

Records of the oil changes are kept at the dealer if he went in for his factory services, so you should be fine.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

My recently purchased A4 supposedly had the motor swapped out ~30k ago because of the sludge problem. Do the replacement/repaired engines have the fine mesh screen? Or do they switch to a different screen for this issue? Also, is there any way to verify factory performed service and things like the engine swap? When I called the dealer it was purchased and serviced at, they told me they couldn't release that information, even though I now own the vehicle.

Thanks.

Edit: +1 vote for sticky

Old 10-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Site Moderator

All 1.8T engines are designed the same, even the new ones for a replacment. The problem is the oil sump/pan design that doesn't allow a big sized oil pick up tube, which is half the problem. I couldn't tell you about the pick up screen, i would have to ask an audi engineer, but they don't tell us s***!!!
I don't know why the dealer wouldn't give you the info about the engine swap either, maybe because in their records its registered as a different owner.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

I might just go the external oil cooler route in that case. Would you anticipate any problems with pressure drop sticking it inline with the turbo oil lines, or would the screw on filter type adapter be the better approach? Also, since you're an Audi tech, what is your opinion of seafoam? I don't normally go for the "miracle additive" type products, but after reading all the posts about people loving it, it's making me reconsider. Would it be an appropriate preventative maintenance measure to avoid the sludge build up? Any drawbacks to using it? I had the crank bearings on a `75 Midget turn to pudding after an oil additive treatment, and been leery of them ever since.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Site Moderator

Pressure would drop slightly which is not ideal, plus it wouldn't stop the fact that the oil pick up tube will get clogged with something. It doesn't have to be sludge either, oil pan gasket material, crap in the PCV system ect.
Seafoam is an amazing product, it CAN harm the engine if used improperly however. To use the seafoam, pour half a can of it into the crankcase and run it for about 1 hour or go for a small 50 mile drive without pressing the gas pedal too hard. Drain it and change the filter, you will see all kinds of crap come out of the oil pan. It greatly reduces the chance of oil pressure failure.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

given that i'm the third owner buying it @ over 80k mi thus having oil changes that wouldn't be under manufacturer warranty/records, do i think, "its over 103k so i'm f*****," or do i think, "i'm @ 104k w/no problems and most happen quickly around 60-80k, so it hasn't happened yet, so if i maintain it, the car will be ok?"
I never said anything about high mileage engines, most sludge repairs i get are from 60k to 80k range, after the warranty is up and people switch to crappy *** oil and don't change it as frequently.
christ, i'm already planning on redoing the timing belt and waterpump, and doing a levelten for the tranny. adding an oil cooler to those on an 8yo car that's gonna die just doesn't make sense.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Site Moderator

In your case you could try to convince the dealer thatYOU the current owner had taken care of the car and kept all the reciepts until now and they might cover it.
Any engine at any mileage is subject to losing oil pressure depending on how it was taken care of.
Running a seafoam treatment would be good in your case. There are threads on here (AKA AMZE'S) thread that ran full synthetic the whole engines life and changed it every 3k and still got stranded from sludge.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

There isn't a recall per say for it but there is a world wide TSB for it. If a 1.8T engine developes sludge and the customer can show proof of all services performed (at least every 10k) up to the current mileage the repair is free of charge by audi regardless of mileage. They will first check the bearing wear on the cams and if its ok there is a lengthy 9 hour repair to the engine. If the bearing wear is too severe you get a brand new engine courtesy of AUDI. Look at AMZE's thread about my car is broken, he got a free engine.
So keeping records of your oil changes is a must.
my car has salvage title what now?

Quick Reply: Facts about oil sludge