General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Facts about oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Facts about oil sludge

Thank you for the red X. I so dont want to know what you posted. [8D]

Old 08-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Site Moderator

Fixed, for YOU cincy.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm make believe

That isnt so bad. I was expecting a big fat guy in..... Think i already said to much

Old 08-21-2007, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear

lol...

Old 08-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Cruiserhead

When you go on long trips the engine gets a lot hotter and breaks away the built up garbage from the pick up tube and gets clogged.
My car runs cool at speed, it's stop-n-go heavy traffic and heat soak that heats it up. Maybe longer running breaks away particles but it doesn't heat up for me.

Sludge really won't develop in the engine un-less you use regular oil and change it irregularlly or every engine for that matter.
ALL of you that ownes a A4 1.8T is gonna get sludge no matter how good and how often you change your oil at some point.
I've seen several 150K+ 1.8t's that are fine. Read about more that are fine. Honestly, I don't agree that it will happen to every 1.8t. I haven't seen it in my personal experience on high mileage 1.8s.

Sludge may or may not happen but your statements are unclear and contradictory.

following your theory, wouldn't seafoam just break loose alot of crap to get caught up and clog vital lines? I like your preventative maintence ideas but the doom n gloom is [:'(]
I never said anything about high mileage engines, most sludge repairs i get are from 60k to 80k range, after the warranty is up and people switch to crappy *** oil and don't change it as frequently.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

So wait a minute. Are you saying that even with using synthetic oil and changing the oil every 4k miles, sludge is going to happen? Are you serious? That sounds like grounds for a recall. On the other hand, if you're suggesting that sludge will happen if you use conventional oil or if you fail to keep up with your oil changes, I'm apt to believe that.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Site Moderator

There isn't a recall per say for it but there is a world wide TSB for it. If a 1.8T engine developes sludge and the customer can show proof of all services performed (at least every 10k) up to the current mileage the repair is free of charge by audi regardless of mileage. They will first check the bearing wear on the cams and if its ok there is a lengthy 9 hour repair to the engine. If the bearing wear is too severe you get a brand new engine courtesy of AUDI. Look at AMZE's thread about my car is broken, he got a free engine.
So keeping records of your oil changes is a must.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

That sucks so bad. I don't keep records of it because I didn't plan on selling the car. I take it they won't accept my word of honour or a letter from a mechanic?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 AM
3rd Gear

Is this all the same for the 2.0????

Old 09-02-2007, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

I was talking to the mechanic that did the state inspection on my car. He said that using synth oil loosens things and would not be good to use. Also said the OEM was conventional oil....
My thought AUDI races, racers only use synth oil therefore Audi + Racing = use synth oil. Does that make sense?
What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Facts about oil sludge