General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Facts about oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Default RE: Facts about oil sludge

its sounds so fatalistic, sowhenit does happen,whats the best way to clean it up?what's agood procedure, are there safechemical additives? I got to change the oil in the next few days, whats the best thing I can do to prevent/remove sludge?

I don't know the oil changing history of my Audi, so I'm willing to be thorough

Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ORIGINAL: wood_e

Isn't there an oil line that runs right near the turbo so the oil gets cooked?
Um, no. Both the turbo feed line and return line gets hot as hell but it doesn't have anything to do with oil sludge.
Got it - I read that somewhere, but don't have a 1.8t to look at.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM
18T
4th Gear

WE AREE DOOOMED!!! OHH NOESS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcn_TPu4qQ

Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Zombie Defense Force

we could just ask amez about oil problems

Old 08-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned

i used nothing but mobil 1 in my old mustang. i took apart the engine for modifications after 60,000 miles and it was spotless.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM
4th Gear

If its not the heat from the turbo, or the synthetic oil, then what the heck causes sludge in the first place? And why only on the 1,8t engine?

What actually causes the sludge to form in these engines?

Old 08-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

If its not the heat from the turbo, or the synthetic oil, then what the heck causes sludge in the first place? And why only on the 1,8t engine?

What actually causes the sludge to form in these engines?
If you think about it, they really don't get sludge at all, ever notice when you have no oil pressure and you take off the valve cover to check for bearing wear on the cams there is absolutely no evidence of sludge anywhere but there is still no oil pressure? Sludge really won't develop in the engine un-less you use regular oil and change it irregularlly or every engine for that matter. The main reason the pick up tube gets clogged so easily is there is very little room around the pick up tube so audi had to shrink the tube size and use a smaller mesh filter to get the tube to fit, hence having a smaller tube and finer filter will get clogged very easily. Oil naturally will pick up s*** from the PCV system and clog the pick up tube thats why in the audi repair manual it has you replace every single PCV line with a sludge repair that takes about 9 hours flat rate to do. So thats why i recommend using either seafoam or an engine flush to keep all those lines clear so it doesn't get stuck in the oil sump. Now using synthetic oil has less chance of building up crap in the PCV system which is why audi requires it on the A41.8T, and no other engines before the year 03. The 2.7T engine to this day still calls for conventional oil with 10k intervals and never has any problems.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

Thanks, good knowledge to have.

The sales of seafoam products are about to rise.........

Old 08-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Site Moderator

LOL. Yeah i know, i decided to write up about this because it usually happens when on a long road trip, kinda like the thread about Amze getting stuck. When you go on long trips the engine gets a lot hotter and breaks away the built up garbage from the pick up tube and gets clogged. Thats why when Amze stopped and changed the oil it only worked for about 30 miles or so because once the crap gets jammed into the small tube your done for.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm make believe

Can i refute some of this?

If you use dino oil in any 1.8t, you are nuts. The reason conventional/dino oil sucks is because it cant handle the heat and breaks down very fast. Put that in a a4 w/ a small filter only holding ~4quarts..... um that stuff is going to get cycled through very often and little time to cool, if at all. Even with a big filter, the engine still only holds just under 5quarts, which is still not very much. My TT with a small filter will hold just over 5qrts and with a large filter will hold a massive 6qrts!!. The oil has plenty of time to cool before being cycled again and w/ syn oil, the shearing factor is greatly reduced and will hold its orginal makeup for thousands of miles. Like said above, if you use syn oil and only syn oil, your engine will be far cleaner and shouldnt ever have to worry about sludge. If the screens on the a4 are finer, gives them more of a reason to never use conventional oil in you car ever, which shouldnt happen since the onlyVW approved oils are full syn.

Quick Reply: Facts about oil sludge