General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Facts about oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Facts about oil sludge

ORIGINAL: daveck2

They can't make you buy thier oil. As long as you are not using generic brand oil like "Coastal", they have to accept the fact that you or your local oil change place use name brand synthetic oil (keep receipt) and would have to honor the warranty

"Only seafoam or marvel mystery oil engine flushes will clean out the oil pick up tube."

This is not necessarily the case! I used them to try and flush my motor but "hard Debris" from plastic shavings from the cam chain tensioner "fused themselves to the pickup screen. Keep an eye on Oil pressure to see if you get any improvements in pressure after flushing, if you don't, pull the pan and replace the tube
Audi doesn't care which oil is used according to the TSB, you could have gotten you oil changed at jiffy lube with regular oil and they would still repair it for free if you had the reciept.

As for the metal shavings, i covered that already, oil pan silicone can also plug the pick up tube as well which seafoam can't take care of.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

auditech79, is the extended 8 year warranty from the original date of purchase or is it from the end of the original manufacturer's warranty (in essence making it a 11 year warranty since the original is 3 years/50K)?

Mine is a '98 so I'm trying to see if I'm covered and need to have my oil changedat shops or if I can do it myself. I went to Royal Motors in SF today and the service guy said that it's from the original purchase date but he didn't sound knowledgable about it b/c he also said that sludge only happens if you don't take care of your car.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Site Moderator

The sludge repair isn't a warranty repair, its a world wide TSB (technical service bulletin) repair. So you could literally have 200,000 miles on the odomerter and out of warranty for 2 years and it would still be covered as long as you have oil change reciepts up to the current mileage.

You CANNOT use reciepts of buying oil as justification, you have to have a shop work reciept.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 AM

informative and well learnedhttp://www.increasingyourgasmileage.blogspot.com/

Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

Auditech79,
I called AudiUSA yesterday and inquired about the oil sludge related extended warranty on the engines. They said that it is unlimited mileage but is 8 years from the date of the first in-service date. Since mine is a '98, my coverage has expired since it's 10 years old and it was confirmed by the Audi rep on the phone. Are you sure about your statements regarding the repair? It seems that we havea disconnect here and from what I understand from all the TSB's I've encountered, a TSBis not a recall and there is no obligation for a dealer to perform any TSB repairs at zero expense to the customer. If anything, these TSB's are suggestions if the customer has a problem but it doesn't put liability for the car manufacturer to foot the bill. Is that what you understand or is it different?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Site Moderator

If the TSB says it only has an 8 year availability, then its new to me. When i worked at the dealer it stated that all years were covered, so its possible that the TSB has changed, and yes a TSB is more of a guideline rather than a recall.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

So I am going to go out tonight and pick up some sea foam. Thanks for the advice

Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

I ONLY change the filter, not the oil. Only adding "Lucas oil" when it gets low. Synth never breaks down it only gets dirty. Years later after a friend of the family, a chemist for Chevron, informed me of this, my valves are still clean, and no sludge. Then again not all oil is the same. Mobil and Royal purple work well too. Kein Scheißegespräch

Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by DraxeofDclan
I ONLY change the filter, not the oil. Only adding "Lucas oil" when it gets low. Synth never breaks down it only gets dirty. Years later after a friend of the family, a chemist for Chevron, informed me of this, my valves are still clean, and no sludge. Then again not all oil is the same. Mobil and Royal purple work well too. Kein Scheißegespräch

Stuff will still get clogged in the oil pick up tube dummy. You're correct that synthetic oil never breaks down, but when you get a low pressure oil light don't come crying to me.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Take it easy people! Just listing my observations over the YEARS, I must be doing something right. Dont blame me because your car doesnt like you. Kein Scheißegespräch

Quick Reply: Facts about oil sludge