General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Facts about oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Facts about oil sludge

^^^^I think you should read all the posts.
There are people on here that change their oil every 2,500K (AMZE) and use oils such as royal purple and still got oil pressure failure.
Im not saying that other cars like the Passat won't get sludge, im saying there isn't A WORLD WIDE TSB FOR REPLACING THE ENGINE FOR FREE on a VW if the passat developes it. Its mostly because of a defective oil pick up tube, most engines i replace don't even have a hint of sludge in the engine, but the oil pick up tube is clogged with: oil pan gasket material, metal shavings, sudge (if it happens) ect.
8 times out of 10 i have to repair a oil pressure problem it has nothing to do with sludge.
If you think your safe thats fine, im just letting you know with my experience whats happening out there, whether its B5 or B6.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 PM

Ok so I've read this thread like 3 or 4 times over now and still have a few questions. My low oil pressure light came on and after reading through this Ihad it towed to my local audi dealership first you should know that I bought the car used at 48,774 miles it now has 50,200. So one of there techs looked at my car and called me back and said that he would need $420 dollars to take valve cover off and tell me if bearings were shot and I would need a new engine which seemed kind of odd cause he didn't say that it could be any other problems. 2. At some point my car was checked for oil sludge by a dealer somewhere because they left a little sticker under the hoodsaying something about certifying from oil sludge or something to that degree ( i can't remember for surecause car is still at dealership) but this was somewhere aroundeither 32,000 or 37,000 miles so my question is since i bought it used and wasnot given any records audi should still cover car for me right?And if notwhere should i try to go from here with audi? I called there customer service line or whoever it was and they said that i would still be responsible, but after some arguing the lady said she would see what else she could find or do and get back to me.but how would i be responsible for it if they have already checked it and why would he say that i may or may not need a new engine right off the bat.Oh and also car was a lease for the first 30,000 or so miles so they should definately have some records for service correct?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 AM

I am in a similar position to you. Ask the dealership if they can find the service records, they should have that for while it was leased. I talked to a seemingly understanding and sympathetic customer service representative at Audi's "Customer Care Center." They called back a week later to say that their position had not changed - they offered 25% of the cost of a new engine (still a bill for me of $9600). Other than that, I am seeking legal assistance and will let you know how that goes. Make another post if Audi bends on their position at all, I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Site Moderator

"pimping A4" sorry for the late response, its in no way your responsiblity it you have records of oil changes every 10k. They have no right to charge you $450 to diagnose it, if they have a problem with that, call AOA and have them bust the dealers *****.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Hi, I have a 2004 A4 1.8T Cabriolet with 19k... It's due for its 20,000 oil change.. I was going to do it myself... I bought the oil filter from Audi, If I buy the oil from them, will that satisfy Audi for the warrranty repair, should I get the sludge problem later down the road?

I'd rather not spend $300 with Audi for someone to undo a bolt and drain the oil. Using one of the quick lube cowboys is a no-go either...

So I was just going to go out and get myself some Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and do the job myself, like i've donefor just about every other car i own or owe.

Basically is there any way to do the oil changes myself and keep in warranty?Will buyingoil and oil filter from audi be enough?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear

Im pretty sure as long as you have all of your oil changes documented its all good. Make sure you hang on to your filter and oil recipts and you should be good.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 AM
1st Gear

Great thread everyone. I'm a new owner of a '98 A4 1.8Twith 84K miles and the engine has been replaced once earlier in it's life and the cylinder head replaced at about 65K miles by a local dealer b/c the timing belt snapped. I'm not too familiar with engines, so does a new cylinder head mean tha the car has pretty much a refurbished engine or is the oil filter screen/pipe still the same one and I still have a risk of having the engine die on me?

Auditech79,
I own an Isuzu Trooper and among owners, there is also consensus thatthe Trooper engines burn oil b/c of a poor design and people have recommended putting in Diesel Truck/Semi Truck oil b/c it has a higher detergent content to clean out the engine or something of that nature. I'm not sure if thatsdissolving the sludge or just carbon build up. In any case, I've been running the Shell Rotella brand of Diesel truckoil in my Trooper for about a year now with no problems at all. Not sure if this would helpwith our A4's at all if the Diesel Truck oil does indeed dissolve sludge. Any input on this? I guess it would be nice if I could get some sludge and do a little science project to see if sludge actually dissolves at all with various solutions/compounds.

Also, Auditech79, I take it that you work at Niello? In any case, what would your advice be for mefordocumentation for warranty coveragesince I just bought the car used and the engine was replaced probably around 40K miles at an independant shop but the cylinder head was replaced at 65K at Royal Motors in SF? I have all receipts from 60K until now from the prior owner. TIA!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

and either using seafoam in the oil every 20k,
Ditto! I use seafoam for about 250 miles before every oil change to help clean it. K&N cone filter, Mobile 1 Synthetic,and actually, at least once a month I put 93% alcohol (wal mart) in the gas tank to help keep my fuel lines and injectors clean. But don't get carried away, alcohol can break down aluminum. In other words, One of the things to also remember is keeping your chambers clean. a clean running piston cuts down on unwelcome resistance and reduces frictional heat and wear being my point.

Just a little something that got passed down to me from my family when I startedto get worried about the amount of build up I was seeing in my factory side mountbefore I got the FMIC. It helped a bunch but, still never 100% free of it. SEAFOAM is the most rockin' solution, my dad's been using it since the freakin 70s I think he said.

And it's not just A4s, Jettas and GTis suffer from it too.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: xqwizit

Great thread everyone. I'm a new owner of a '98 A4 1.8Twith 84K miles and the engine has been replaced once earlier in it's life and the cylinder head replaced at about 65K miles by a local dealer b/c the timing belt snapped. I'm not too familiar with engines, so does a new cylinder head mean tha the car has pretty much a refurbished engine or is the oil filter screen/pipe still the same one and I still have a risk of having the engine die on me?

Auditech79,
I own an Isuzu Trooper and among owners, there is also consensus thatthe Trooper engines burn oil b/c of a poor design and people have recommended putting in Diesel Truck/Semi Truck oil b/c it has a higher detergent content to clean out the engine or something of that nature. I'm not sure if thatsdissolving the sludge or just carbon build up. In any case, I've been running the Shell Rotella brand of Diesel truckoil in my Trooper for about a year now with no problems at all. Not sure if this would helpwith our A4's at all if the Diesel Truck oil does indeed dissolve sludge. Any input on this? I guess it would be nice if I could get some sludge and do a little science project to see if sludge actually dissolves at all with various solutions/compounds.

Also, Auditech79, I take it that you work at Niello? In any case, what would your advice be for mefordocumentation for warranty coveragesince I just bought the car used and the engine was replaced probably around 40K miles at an independant shop but the cylinder head was replaced at 65K at Royal Motors in SF? I have all receipts from 60K until now from the prior owner. TIA!
If the timing belt snapped the only thing they would do is take off the cylinder head and replace any bent valves, no work would be done to the block.

Do not put diesel oil in an audi engine, the oil is much heavier and won't help at all in relieving sludge. Only seafoam or marvel mystery oil engine flushes will clean out the oil pick up tube.

The key word is I USED TO WORK AT NIELLO, i know all the techs at niello though. As for the warranty on sludge, you only need to have reciepts of oil changes from the date that you bought the vehicle.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM

They can't make you buy thier oil. As long as you are not using generic brand oil like "Coastal", they have to accept the fact that you or your local oil change place use name brand synthetic oil (keep receipt) and would have to honor the warranty

"Only seafoam or marvel mystery oil engine flushes will clean out the oil pick up tube."

This is not necessarily the case! I used them to try and flush my motor but "hard Debris" from plastic shavings from the cam chain tensioner "fused themselves to the pickup screen. Keep an eye on Oil pressure to see if you get any improvements in pressure after flushing, if you don't, pull the pan and replace the tube

Quick Reply: Facts about oil sludge