General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Facts about oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Facts about oil sludge

ORIGINAL: kwsmithphoto

My bad, I thought "autoRX" was someone's username, not a product, and they were referring to Sea Foam.

[align=left][/align]
LOL, you had me going for a second there,i don't know anything about autoRX.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:50 PM

So how long do I have? 02 A4 1.8T with 75k worth of short stop and go trips and I live at the topof a steep hill so the turbo is extra hot when shutting down. I bought her new and had her serviced entirely by dealer at recommended (10K) intervals. She is going to blow up any day now and I'll get a new engine, right?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: mudwalker

So how long do I have? 02 A4 1.8T with 75k worth of short stop and go trips and I live at the topof a steep hill so the turbo is extra hot when shutting down. I bought her new and had her serviced entirely by dealer at recommended (10K) intervals. She is going to blow up any day now and I'll get a new engine, right?
LOL, she isn't gonna blow up any second, i can't predict exactly when but i can estimate.
But yes if you have all oil change reciepts and it does get sludge the dealer will either repair the problem or replace the engine depending on how much damage is in the motor.
You should be ok, but your due for an engine flush or seafoam treatment.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ORIGINAL: mudwalker

LOL, she isn't gonna blow up any second, i can't predict exactly when but i can estimate.
But yes if you have all oil change reciepts and it does get sludge the dealer will either repair the problem or replace the engine depending on how much damage is in the motor.
You should be ok, but your due for an engine flush or seafoam treatment.
No flushing is going to be done by me, my dealer services the car. Does dealer service include scheduled flushes? My 80k service is getting close? Do they charge for flush?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Site Moderator

Dealers will NOT flush the engine because of liability reasons, an indy shop will have to do it for you. As for the 80k, thats an expensive service at the dealer, shop around.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM

I have to say, I don't like the idea of losing a motor to oil starvation especially on a car I plan to keep for a long time. I do on the other hand like the idea of adding a new motor to my long term plan for this car. The only down side is the actual failure and the repair time. Last time my dealer serviced my car he almost had to loan me a Porsche.

When Clint Eastwood was asked about the huge age difference between himself and his new wife he responded to the reporter "hey if she dies she dies".

Anyone here get the occasional engine clatter upon below freezing start-ups. only lasts a second. Sounds like oil starvation to me.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Dealers will NOT flush the engine because of liability reasons, an indy shop will have to do it for you. As for the 80k, thats an expensive service at the dealer, shop around.
It's hard finding sense in that, but I'm not suprised. As for the service @ 80k, they tell me it's $800. ouch

Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ucla86
The one I got was the oil can with "OIL" under it -- the manual says that means you should check and add oil, but my oil level was fine.
The manual describes two other oil indicators (that have never illuminated in my car). One said "sensor". I don't recall what the other looked like, but it was a blatant "shut the engine off" thing.
Does anyone know if the owner's manual is correct when it says the oil can/"OIL" indicator means add oil??? (ie a low oil level, and *not* pressure) I'd really like to know if it's safe to drive to work the morning after I fly back home.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 AM
1st Gear

I've had oil sludge, but only once. I bought my 98.5 Audi a4 Quattro 1.8T at 80,000 miles. Developed oil sludge around 100k. Oil light came on while I was on the freeway, I pulled over and drove it home (yea I know, risky.). Apparently the dude's at Jiffy Lube had OVERFILLED my oil. They put in a full 5 quarts, so I drained the oil and did an oil change myself with a Mobil 1 filer and mobil 1 European Blend 0w-40w, still had that red beeping oil light with a REALLY loud ticking noise from the engine, obvious signs of my engine starving for oil. This will sound almost unbelieveable, but I had thatred oil light on for almost 3 days before getting it fixed, and I driveeveryday to work/hanging out (50 miles round-trip, yea stupid I know, but I was way broke and had to get to work). Almost had it towed to Audi, but I decided to try seafoam. Ran it, and did another oil/filter change, and the light went away. Hasn't been back since and I have over 160,000 miles now.

The one I got was the oil can with "OIL" under it -- the manual says that means you should check and add oil, but my oil level was fine.
The manual describes two other oil indicators (that have never illuminated in my car). One said "sensor". I don't recall what the other looked like, but it was a blatant "shut the engine off" thing.
Does anyone know if the owner's manual is correct when it says the oil can/"OIL" indicator means add oil??? (ie a low oil level, and *not* pressure) I'd really like to know if it's safe to drive to work the morning after I fly back home.
As far as the oil light(s) are concerned, In my b5, the owner's manual says that the YELLOW oil light means add/low oil. The RED oil light mean low oil PRESSURE and you should stop driving NOW. You'll know that you have low oil pressurewhen allyou hearis that annoying 'warning' sound and sometimes, a lot of 'ticking' coming from your engine.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: hollisterrobsta

As far as the oil light(s) are concerned, In my b5, the owner's manual says that the YELLOW oil light means add/low oil. The RED oil light mean low oil PRESSURE and you should stop driving NOW. You'll know that you have low oil pressure when all you hear is that annoying 'warning' sound and sometimes, a lot of 'ticking' coming from your engine.
Thanks a lot -- that's exactly the way I understood it, oil level only. (My beeping is no more than that for the washer fluid low: a short beep only when the light first appears).
I just can't understand why an oil level light would go out when I declutch & drop the revs to idle, and then I can continue driving. That's why I was afraid the manual was wrong.

If I can't schedule a mechanic to check it out in the first day or two, maybe I'll throw in some Seafoam and go get an oil change.

Quick Reply: Facts about oil sludge