General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver side mirror looks like 3-d image??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Driver side mirror looks like 3-d image??

OK, I'm a newbie and the last audi I had was a 5000 (many moons ago). I just got my car which is a used '99 A6 Avant 2.8 tip with 84k. The driver side mirror reflects an image that is best described as looking very close to what a 3-d image looks like, kinda like the main image has two other ghost images offset from the original. What gives?

ALSO

anyone have simple fixes for sticky cupholders?
on-board computer display is weak around the edges, any thoughts?
vibration upon accelerating left turn -- CV joint? Feels like left side, any good way to tell?

Thanks --Mark

Old 06-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Driver side mirror looks like 3-d image??

ORIGINAL: Grossbauer

OK, I'm a newbie and the last audi I had was a 5000 (many moons ago). I just got my car which is a used '99 A6 Avant 2.8 tip with 84k. The driver side mirror reflects an image that is best described as looking very close to what a 3-d image looks like, kinda like the main image has two other ghost images offset from the original. What gives?

ALSO

anyone have simple fixes for sticky cupholders?
on-board computer display is weak around the edges, any thoughts?
vibration upon accelerating left turn -- CV joint? Feels like left side, any good way to tell?

Thanks --Mark
My thoughts (in other words: not worth much)

- Your mirror is delaminating. There's a film between teh class and the anti-scratch coating that helps transmit the heat for your heated mirrors... It's coming apart. It happens. Not often, but it happens. You'll need to replace teh mirror glass. Check with www.shokan.com or www.dadsauto.com
- simplest fix for sticky cupholders is a warm viniger/water solution. 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Get it in/on there the best way you can, let it soak for a minit... repeat as needed until stickiness abates
-not even a twinkle of an idea with teh computer. sorry
- If it's only shuddering with left turns you may have a CV or axle issue. If it does it BOTH ways, so does mine... So does about 90% of the other Audi-ii I've heard about. I cud explain why, but it takes a while, and you'd hafta have sufficient understanding of things mechanical to have figured it out for yourself, with a little thought, so I won't go into it, here. Crawl underneath and peep out your outer CV joint boots. Give em a feel. Cracks? Tears? Hands come back all grimey and greasey? If you answered yes to any of these questions there's a good chance you have a problem with your CV joint boots. If you don't take care of it SOON, you'll ALSO have a problem with your CV joint...

Welcome to the forums.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:18 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Driver side mirror looks like 3-d image??

Thanks a bunch, this one seems to be falling apart at the seams --

CEL on now, have to dig out the vag-com from my VW TDI days
exhaust just developed a leak today, sounds like under the hood
found fuel leaking from or around the fuel filter
cruise control does not seel to have a connection in the right fuse block -- looks like a blank

Nothing too serious yet, hopefully can resolve these and have a great car.