General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Diagnosing a rear wheel-bearing issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by dlcain
I have a slightly different situation. when I turn hard left the noise stay's the same and doesn't get louder. when I turn hard right the noise completly goes away. Is this a wheel bearing issue? which side? also, I plan on doing most of the work myself with exception of getting the bearing pressed out & in. I read on another thread to leave the speed sensor connected and feed the wire down thru from under the passenger seat? Is there any other tid-bits of information I should know about while doing this? thanks !
its like a 4mm allen that holds the speed sensor in... thats all you have to do is remove it and let it hang

Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Two things about that - first, not all cars have bolt-in sensors. My 99 for example - it presses in. Second, the only reliable way I've found to get them out is once the hub is off, put the end of a socket extension on the face of the sensor closest to the bearing and gently tap it out. If your bearing is bad enough to hear, the heat in the hub has probably seized it. You'll probably destroy it trying to take it out. Given that and the fact that leaving it in the hub is fine while changing bearings (and unplugging the harness is easy), don't risk ruining it when it's unnecessary to do so.