General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cold Wheather Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Cold Wheather Warm-up

I personally let mine warm until it idles down. On a related note, the shift point on my automatic increases significantly when the engine is cold. It stays in 1st until @2500-3000 rpm. until it warms up. Then shifts normally. Is the Tip programmed this way, or am I having an issue that needs to be looked at? I haven't tried shifting it into 2nd with the Tip yet, assuming it was the tranny's way of helping the engine warm more quickly, or the tranny's way of warming itself up.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Could be programmed that way. The 3rd generation RX7s had a cold-start program that made the ECU raise the idle speed to 3000RPM for awhile upon cold start, to help get everything up to temperature faster. I assume that they did this to help light off the cats sooner to decrease cold-start emissions (since the rotaries are known to be so dirty), but before I digress too much, my point was that some OEMs do program in higher RPM when cold for various reasons.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: duburban

confused AWDaholic. what invisible link?
Te invisible-link you put here:
ORIGINAL: duburban

any of you guys use this lucas oil product, to avoid "dry start-up"?

Old 01-13-2007, 02:03 AM
1st Gear

Can't see the link on my end. Thanks for input yall, i've been crankin it up and driven like a turtle. Thankfully i live miles from traffic!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:53 AM
3rd Gear

I let mine warm up until the RPM's come down. Usually about a minute.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Well, since it's an aluminum block, you don't wanna "shock" it by NAILING the throttle with a cold engine, obviously. Sooner or later you'll crack the block and then you're well and truely F'd.

Personally, I let it pull itself off, under its' own torque, for as long as that is practical. Entering a traffic stream, for instance. Even then, I try my best to keep the rpm as low as I can get away with until: 1) The heater starts pumping heat out of teh vents, which is generally accompanied by: 2) the temp guage has reached the bottom line indicator, on the scale. Once I notice either (or both) of those I assume the oil is sufficiently heated to allow it to flow into all the nooks and crannies it needs to reach. I've used this technique for teh better part of two decades; long before conventional wisdom held that sitting and idling is BAD; and, to the best of MY knowledge, have never had any cracked blocks OR adversely contributed to Global-Warming any more than the average motorhead
I do the same but as for driving, i shift before 3k, if i need a little more power ill go as high as 4k until the temp gauge goes up. its just like BMW m5's e39 i believe were they have warning lights siggesting you shift before 4k since its a sports car engine, i consider our audis the same. also i have to double clutch gears 1,2,3 until the gearbox heats up because they grind when cold.but after that smooth shifting,

Old 01-15-2007, 03:02 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: GeilKyle2

Idleing equals cold incomplete combustion, leads to carbon buildup, scoring of cylinder walls.
? cold incomplete combustion? I don't know about that one, but my understanding of the subject is this:
The reason it is 'ineeficient' to let your car idle is largely due to your rings. Your rings are designed with twist such that they seal best under load (pressure). When you are idling, you have the least amount of cylinder pressure and your rings don't do their job, and you increase both crevice volume and oil consuption.
I don't know the physics behind the rest of the engine, except that I relate it to your body - before you get warmed up and blood pumping, you are stiff and slow...thus your oil is cold and less viscous... I usually baby the crap out of my car in the morning until just like others said, your oil temps start recording. I'd like to learn more about the subject...

Old 01-15-2007, 06:52 AM
5th Gear

I let my truck warm up for at least 5 mins... its best to warm them up IMO but for some reason I read that with Audi's it wasnt nessicary at all infact it was harder on the car to let it sit and warm than just drive it

Old 01-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Mine is always in the garage when it's not being driven but in cold Toronto weather I usually just hop in and am light on the throttle until I see that the engine and oil temps have risen. No adverse effects yet with that method using a variety of cars.

I have experienced that the gearbox holds a high RPM longer when cold than when hot. I assumed it was programmed that way as my Audi is not the only one that does it.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

AWDaholic, when you said "Personally, I let it pull itself off, under its' own torque, for as long as that is practical.", does that include merging into the traffic on the freeway?

Quick Reply: Cold Wheather Warm-up