General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cold Wheather Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Cold Wheather Warm-up

To idle or not to idle? From my experience, people let their cars idle to warm up. In the Audi manual it says that this is damaging for the engine and very ineffecient. So if i'm going to just drive off with a cold engine, what rpm should i make sure i stay below to ensure a proper warm-up? What is the proper science here?

Old 01-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Cold Wheather Warm-up

Well, since it's an aluminum block, you don't wanna "shock" it by NAILING the throttle with a cold engine, obviously. Sooner or later you'll crack the block and then you're well and truely F'd.

Personally, I let it pull itself off, under its' own torque, for as long as that is practical. Entering a traffic stream, for instance. Even then, I try my best to keep the rpm as low as I can get away with until: 1) The heater starts pumping heat out of teh vents, which is generally accompanied by: 2) the temp guage has reached the bottom line indicator, on the scale. Once I notice either (or both) of those I assume the oil is sufficiently heated to allow it to flow into all the nooks and crannies it needs to reach. I've used this technique for teh better part of two decades; long before conventional wisdom held that sitting and idling is BAD; and, to the best of MY knowledge, have never had any cracked blocks OR adversely contributed to Global-Warming any more than the average motorhead

Old 01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

I probably shouldn't....but I let mine warm up for a good 10 minutes in the morning. "technically" not good for it but c'mon...its -30 outside right now...i doubt that hoppin in your car and driving it, even at low rpm's, is "better" in these weather conditions. either way you're goin to get sh*tty gas milage in the winter and you're car won't like it. to each their own.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Idleing equals cold incomplete combustion, leads to carbon buildup, scoring of cylinder walls. I always let mine idle until the idle speed comes down to normal, then drive very light on the throttle until temp is up.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Here's a slightly off topic but winter related question....

Why do the heated seats not start warming up until you start to drive?? Might have to get an in-car heater so I don't let my car warm up anymore.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:27 PM

I don't think that is the case, they just seem to take forever if your not sitting in them to warm on their own. I think it's just because your body heat and someone sitting in the seat holds the heat in and they will warm faster

Old 01-10-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

any of you guys use this lucas oil product, to avoid "dry start-up"?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: duburban

any of you guys use this lucas oil product, to avoid "dry start-up"?
The "invisible-link" one?!?!?

As far as the heated seats go, they're pressure-sensitive. If yer @ss ain't in it, it ain't gonna heat up. If you want it warm by the time you decide to dash thru the bitter cold, out to your car, and go, then you'r gonna needa sand-bag, to place in the seat until it's time to bounce

Old 01-11-2007, 05:19 AM
1st Gear

confused AWDaholic. what invisible link?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:50 AM
1st Gear

i just did some serious reading about oil additives. i will never use them ever. only placebo effects and another smiling oil baron to be gained!

Quick Reply: Cold Wheather Warm-up