General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CEL is on...here are the codes...HELP!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: CEL is on...here are the codes...HELP!??

I have checked the main hose coming off of the EGR as well as all of the others it connects with to make sure they are not leaking. I believe that I have narrowed the leak to coming from BELOW the EGR valve itself. Could it be from the copper tube that runs straight down from the valve? I feel as though it may be one of the nuts is not secured and that is where the leak is coming from. It is hard to pinpoint the location as I cannot get any closer than about 8 inches from wherever the leak is due to everything that is still installed. I am going to find a wrench that I can fit into that spot and see what tightening I can do to the nuts. If it is not that, I'm not sure what else to do here...

Old 07-03-2008, 11:19 AM

that's the one mate the copperish pipe is from the manifold which links to the EGR valve and not uncommon for it to rust ( you might be able to patch it though ) same as repairing an exhaust.

hopefully the HTTP 403 doesn't stop me posting that's a site issue problem im having at the moment[]

Old 07-03-2008, 11:37 AM

this is the EGR removed and this link is worth a read
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DG

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/98F9090679214F3CACB6BC08DA8E6B05.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

I haven't been able to work on the car since I posted this previously. Does anyone know what the easiest way to remove the EGR itself would be? If I buy one of the Bentley manuals, does anyone know if it is in there? Thanks guys!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Know how to remove the EGR? Help me please!!!!

I haven't been able to buy the repair manual yet (because I'm a college kid with no money...surprise, right?) and would like to pull the EGR to at least check it out for leaks.

Does anyone know if the EGR is set for me to remove a few bots and pull it or am I going to have to dismantle the manifold to remove it or what?

Please HELP!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

i would clear all the codes first and see which ones come back on first. this egr problem could be causing a lot of the other problems/codes. egr stands for exhaust gas recirculation. it recirculates exhaust gas into the mixture to reduce nox, which is detrimental to the ozone. nox is also a by product of very high temps in the combustion chamber. exhaust gas is already detonated gas, so it is inert. in effect, less oxygen is in the mixture when egr is commanded to flow, and so the temps drop, reducing nox and the chance of predetonation. if the valve is stuck open then it could cause a number of drivability concerns and certain meters to go haywire.. id clear them, locate the air leak that youve found, repair that and drive for a while and check codes as soon as cel comes on..

Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Default Check Engine Light On - Need advice

My 2003 A4 3.0 Cab is in Florida and I am in PA so I am going hearsay from someone looking after my car until we go back down there in 2 months.

The battery was replaced last week due to a bad cell. The CEL didn't come on as it was being driven back from getting the battery, but now a week later when they restarted the car it did. And they drove it for 10 minutes and it stayed on.

The dealer here up North told me sometimes installing a new battery could cause the CEL to come on and not to worry about it until it had been driven for 2 or 3 days (when we return). Said it might be just a "new battery bug".

Can anyone shed any light on whether this is possible?
Unfortunately I am not there to be able to check out the fault codes.

Thanks!