General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can't add custom POIs on new Audis

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 07:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Can't add custom POIs on new Audis

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone else who is thinking about buying a new Audi or who has recently bought one will miss the facility to upload custom POIs to the Sat Nav map (Audi calls these "Special Destinations").

All new Audis with touchscreens have the MIB2+ or MIB3 Media System which DO NOT have the facility to upload Special Destinations (POI’s).

I have added dozens of POIs to my 2017 S3 including speed cams, red light cams and specs as well as Premier Inns, Greggs Bakers, McDonald's etc. I mostly use POIBASE to do this.

When I first got my S3 in 2017 you could actually upload POIs from the My.Audi website which then uploaded the POI's to the vehicle via the Audi Connect service. This was super easy to do. However, in late 2018 Audi removed this facility from their website in the UK. Crazy! It was a brilliant feature.

In 2019 I contacted the 24hr Audi Digital team (who are great) to ask how I could upload POIs. The Digital Team confirmed the POI upload feature on the My.Audi website no longer worked in the UK (apparently it still worked in Germany). They said I would have to use the SD memory card slot in my S3 and follow instructions on the MMI to upload POIs. They told me how to do this and to be fair it works great. Like I say, to this day I still use POIBASE and a few other POI sites to upload POIs (SpecialDestinations) to my 2017 S3. All my custom POIs appear on the pop-up MMI map AND on the virtual cockpit map (so my custom POIs appear on two screens and are individually configurable).

I can't believe Audi have completely removed the facility to upload POIs!!

Okay, so I know there are a number of built-in points of interest on the map such as Schools, Parking Locations and Petrol Stations etc, and that these can be turned on or off on the MMI, but the facility for owners to create their own POI's was obviously very useful.

Q1: Am I the only person who found the facility to upload custom POI's useful?

Q2: Is there a work around?

Q3: What POI'S come as standard with the 2021 Audi MMI?

A few years ago Audi were highly rated for their in-car technology and innovation, especially regarding their MMI. This no longer seems to be the case.

I have even tried Android Auto, and whilst the voice guidance is excellent compared to the built-in Sat Nav, it's really difficult to add points of interest to the maps for Android Auto.

Any feedback, suggestions or comments (or solutions:-) would be very welcome.