General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Pads Rattle, Loose Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Default YOU ARE A STAR! This works! 😁

This works! 👌🏻

Originally Posted by jinsojoo
the rattling noises in my car came from my inner front brake pads. I finally found a solution to the problem!

The inner brake pads have retainer spring-like flanges that push against the inside of a cylinder in the brake caliper. Previously, i bent those flanges inward to make it easier to insert those inner pads into the caliper, but the brake pads rattled horribly when i drove over bumps. To address the problem, i removed the inner pads, bent the metal flanges back out (radially) so they would push up against the inside of the cylinder, which in turn now holds the pad in place and prevents the rattle. It was difficult to get the spring-like flanges to squeeze back into the caliper, but with a little massaging and slight pushing of the flanges inward, i was able to press the pads back in. Presto! No rattling!

If you find that the rattling in your car goes away if you lightly press the brake pedal when driving over bumps, this might help you.