General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

B5 S4 Crank, no start...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 S4 Crank, no start...

So, my car was in need of some maintenance...

I replaced:

Timing Belt
Waterpump
Thermostat
Plugs
Coils
Valve Cover gaskets
Cam tensioner gaskets and half moon
New oil
New coolant

Car is back together, minus front bumper and headlights.

Car cranks and cranks, but will not turnover
If I give it a little gas, it might turn over, kind of. It will turn over sputtering and die all within like 5-10 seconds. Boost gauge doesn't read anything. And it doesn't go passed 100-200rpm and then dies after 5-10seconds.
I plugged in my VAG and it shows no codes.

I had originally had the cam shaft on the passenger side off in TDC, but I removed it and made sure all the cam shafts on the driver and passenger notches lined up TDC. I saw this from the CPS code it was giving. Now that code is gone.

I tried to start it by:

MAF - plugged and unplugged
CAM Position Sensor - Plugged and unplugged on both driver and passenger side
Pulled Fuel Pump fuse

APR BiPipe, so no TBB.

It partially starts, so I am assuming good spark
I smell fuel from the tail pipe and I hear the pump priming when I turn the key before cranking

What else could keep the car from starting?

Could the Timing Belt be off a tooth? Would that keep the car from turning over?

I am hoping to get this taken care of without having to haul the car down to the shop. That would suck..

I have searched, but nothing completely related and have tried most of the ones that come close to my issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Okay, so here is a video of the issue and some pictures of the engine bay before I closed it all up.. I had to readjust the passenger side because the marks didn't line up after I had everything on TDC. But now everything is all lined up, crank on TDC and the marks on passenger and driver side line up and the crank "cogs" are lined up with the crank bar. I also used a crank pin and the bar to do the timing belt change.

Driver side, all marks lined up on camshafts

Passenger side

Passenger side

All buttoned up.. almost...

Old 10-23-2014, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Hmm, tested and no compression... no to find out why there is no compression.

I am hoping that the timing wasn't off by anything and no valves got bent.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Did you use any of the "factory spec" tools to make sure that the timing was in place? This is a "interference" motor. If it wasn't perfectly timed there is a good chance that you may have bent some valves when trying to start it. You should have had a bar that locked the cams in place and the crank in place when you timed it. If you didn't...maybe bad news.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by avtechinbtown
Did you use any of the "factory spec" tools to make sure that the timing was in place? This is a "interference" motor. If it wasn't perfectly timed there is a good chance that you may have bent some valves when trying to start it. You should have had a bar that locked the cams in place and the crank in place when you timed it. If you didn't...maybe bad news.

Yup. Camshaft bar and the Cam lock pin. I also marked which was redundant.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

Welp, got the car up and running. Apparently I had 3 bend exhaust valves, all on the passenger side.

Ended up sourcing a new top end. It was from an AllRoad, however the Camshafts were a little longer than the S4, so, I just used the camshafts from the S. Got it all back together. Made sure it was all lined up. And the nice sound of the sweet purring.

Now, I just have to run it with some Marvel Mystery a few times to hopefully get any remaining sludge out of the system.